I and Guillaume have been doing some work in this branch, and I
believe it's now better than the current trunk.
The main changes are:
- got rid of the renderer-related code: use OpenGL ES2 only instead
-> allowed to simplify and optimize opengl code (especially text
rendering is now much simpler and faster).
- switch to Qt5: the base widget architecture have been simplified.
Startup time is much faster, we can now use QML together with the old
GUI code. This is a good first step toward having a QML only GUI.
- did some tuning on default stars rendering (so that the sky looks
nicer by default)
- cleanup up extinction code, fixed bugs in it
- got rid of the Gettext dependency at run time. The code in this
branch now use Qt translation feature. The translation files are still
based on .po/.pot and gettext tools and are compatible with Launchpad
translation feature (the .po are just translated to .qm files instead
- some more testing must be performed on plugins
- planets shadows is still broken
The question is: would you guys agree to merge this into the trunk?
The side effect is broken compatibility for some old configs
(including the one from Bogdan apparently :/ )
Bogdan, if it's a problem, we can use Stellarium's donation money to
buy you a video card?