Building past 4007

Feedback
2008-11-28
2012-10-09
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-11-28

I have been trying to build the svn code since build 4007 (the last satisfactory windows build) without success. The build fails at the linking process:

Linking CXX shared library libstelMain.dll
    j:\mingw\bin..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2........\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -lQtScript
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: [src/libstelMain.dll] Error 1
    make[1]:
    [src/CMakeFiles/stelMain.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    BUILD FAILED

Where do I get the lQtScript.

Also I have not been able to get a stisfactory build in Linux Ubuntu 8.04 since much earlier than this. The program appears to compile OK but builds up to 4041 came up with a segmentation error and crashed. The later builds now come up with a memory corruption error.

Any clues as to what i need to do?

Barry

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-18

I can no longer compile in Windows since the use of kfilters was initiated. There are some undeclared references and the build crashes.

I can't find any association between KDE and Windows. Everything refers to Linux, Unix etc.

Stellarium builds without problem in Linux other than I can't load both star catalogues 7 and 8 at the same time and the anglemeasure doesn't respond to the mouse drag.

Barry

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2008-11-29

Not sure about the Windows build problem. The file you want is QtScript.dll, which should be found in the QT install location somewhere. You might also want the debug version of that - depending on whether or not you make the release or debug build it will want a different file.

For the Linux build, that's really weird. I can only imagine it's down to some mess in the build directory. Try deleting everything in the builds/unix directory and starting again from the cmake stage.

Matthew

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-11-30

Hi Matthew

I gathered that Qtscript.dll would be required but the program appears to call for the necessary parts to compile it. However I haven't yet located a Qtscript.dll.

With the Linux build it appears quit odd. I have an idea that it may be something in the graphics driver that is not compatable with Qt. I was having trouble running versions of Stellarium after 3936 on a windows platform with an intel 965 chipset. I eventually found an updated driver for both XP and Vista and this fixed the problem.

I have built a number of versions of Stellarium in Linux completely from scratch after 3936 and they all present the same problem. My video card in Linux for the Sis661 card does not have OpenGl capacity and I havn't found any later drivers yet.

I used to get between 1 and 2 Fps on Linux without Opengl but now I only get .01 fps and the Linix build is next to useless because it is so slow.

Barry

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-03

Has anyone been able to build the latest svn versions in Windows. I have not been able to get past the call for the location of -lqtscript since build 4007. I did a google search and found lots of queries on this subject but no answers yet. Some say it is to do with generating Qtscript.dll but the current version already installed is Qtscript4.dll

When I get past this stage I would like to play around with sound but I need to get phonon initiated in Qt it appears.

Barry

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2008-12-03

Have you got the latest cmake?

Matthew

• barrykgerdes

Hi Matthew

Yes I am using cmake 2.6.2 and I have also checked all the other dependencies and can't find anything later.
      I can build 4007 OK (no sound) but not 4008 or anything later. I have four different computers set up with different configurations but they all come up with the same error. I can't even find which file looks for -lqtscript. I even erased the reqest off the Cmakecache.txt but it went back in as soon as I tried a make.

I can't even get a working build on Linux past 3866. The builds complete without error but the program crashes with a segmentation error. However this may only be due to not having OpenGl available.

I did have a lot of trouble with earlier builds on my laptop with an intel 965 card but I found a later driver that fixed this problem.

With the sound facility I think that QT needs to be configured with phonon activated but I haven't worked out how to do that yet. It talks about getting SDK from MS but when I looked at that it is a 1.4 GB download, something to do overnight! I don't think I need all of it but I don't know what so I would need to get the lot.

Barry

• astronomy buff

astronomy buff - 2008-12-03

Yes, same problem over here, Barry, with one exception. I can build 4008, but nothing later. 4009 is where the problems start for me. Are you sure you can't build 4008?

Major changes were made to the CMakeLists file in rev 4009, and I think that's where the problem lies.

Here's what I have found: on the end of the line 314 in CMakeLists.txt, "-lQtScript" has been added between the revisions 4008 and the current. By the looks of it, that's exactly the point where the building fails. I'm not sure what lQtScript is, but I know that added bit is somehow messing it up.

Everything's working for me on Linux. You probably do have an incompatible driver.

• astronomy buff

astronomy buff - 2008-12-03

I removed the reference in line 314 to -lQtScript, and Stellarium built and ran fine as far as I could tell. Scripting is working just fine. Try that and see if it works.

• Matthew Gates

-lQtScript is an argument which gets passed to the linker to link (-l is a hyphen followed by a lower case "L" which means "link with") some named library. In this case "QtScript.dll".

I'm not sure why that's in the src/CMakeLists.txt file - it seems to build just fine without it. Probably a hangover from some old build problem. CMake should handle this sort of thing automatically, so I would guess it was included because some older version of CMake didn't do this correctly. In any case it works for me with the latest CMake.

I have removed it now, so update and see if that works.

Thanks guys - one more bug squished!
        Matthew

• barrykgerdes

Hi Astronomybuff

You would be correct that the change occured at build 4009. I wasn't sure which build I was on when the failure occured and did not rebuild any versions between 4007 and 4011 to check.

I had a look at the cmakelists to see if I could find the reference and remove it but did not with on a search so I missed out. I had a pretty good idea that this was the problem.

Well now the next problem is to get phonon working.

With Linux, I believe it is some problem with my hardware but I can't get around it till I build a new Linux computer.

Thanks. I will try to build with the modified cmakelists

Barry

• barrykgerdes

With the information on whwere the reference to -lqtscript I found it in a cmake file in the src folder that I had missed prevoiusly. removed it and got a compile.

The latest version 4070 works without bother.

Linux nolonger compiles. There are wsome missing references that i will need to address. Probably I need a later version of cmake as well.

Barry

• Matthew Gates

I use cmake 2.6-patch 0 - the one which comes with Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (the latest release).

Matthew

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-04

Hi Matthew

I just spent 4 hours upgrading (?) to Intrepid Ibex and now I am worse off than ever. The screen resolution is locked at 680 x 480 and I can't find the drivers that used to be installed. It will probably take me a few weeks to learn how to fix it.

Barry

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2008-12-04

4 hours! It's a lot! That's even longer than I spent fixing my windows installation today (which turned out to be an old wireless driver conflicting with an update, causing frequent BSODs). At least I hope I've fixed it. It's hard to tell as there is no apparent rhyme or reason to /when/ it would BSOD.

FOr yor video card, Did you try the "hardware drivers" option from the admin menu? My nvidia card was found OK in there, but YMMV. If you can't see something to install there, try enabling the extra repositories in the admin menu -> software sources, updating in synaptic, and then look in the hardware manager again.

If there's still nothing in the hardware drivers tool, have a look in synaptic directly for a package for your hardware.

I have to say that I found this release to be a little unsatisfying too. KDE3 is gone, and KDE4 is not really satisfactory. For a start, the desktop effects in KDE4 are not at all compatible with running Stellarium...

I'm spending most of my time in fluxbox at the moment, since I have some mild dislike for gnome which I can't quite put my finger on. I'm a known window-manager-weirdo though. I think ratpoison is awesome. :D

Matthew

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-04

Four hours is about normal. I only have ADSL 1500/256 and downloading 1.3GB of program takes 1 1/2 hours. Then installing takes another 1 1/4 hours. The rest of the time is taken by waiting and testing.

I decided to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 at 7:30 PM and finished at 0:15AM. I watched TV while waiting but every now and then some input was required and this was not done till I checked progress (in the commercial breaks).

Luckily I have 8.04 on a CD (DVD) so I can start all over again if necessary on another computer. One with a NVidea G force Video card. In the mean time I will try to find the drivers for my SiS card.

The only problem with a re-installation is the four odd hours it took to install Qt 4.4.3 last time. and with all the rest it needs a full day to get it all up and running again. Then I still need to get over the cmake 2.6 update.

Barry

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2008-12-04

The good news about ibex is that QT4.4.3 is in the repositories, so you don't have to build it.

• astronomy buff

astronomy buff - 2008-12-04

Yes, I found that out when I installed Xubuntu 8.10. Good thing, too.

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-05

Well

I managed to compile version 4082 on Ubuntu 8.10. The segmentation error has been fixed. However

Linux running on the default driver screen is not something to try.
      At 640 x 480 resolution everything you want to use is off the bottom of the screen and can't be got to.

Stellarium runs on that screen but looks pretty awful.

Barry

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-06

Fixed it

Don't know how except I edited xorg.conf to change the default monitor from "Generic Monitor" to "super VGA Monitor"

Barry

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-09

I have put the necessary files to convert the beta version to the latest build on my stellarium website:

www.geocities.com/wendygblyde

I have broken it into three zipped sections because there is a download limit per hour. If you have trouble try again later.

Barry

• barrykgerdes

Error

The site is http://www.geocities/wendygblyde/

Barry

• barrykgerdes

error again
      I wish I could edit posts

http://www.geocities.com/wendygblyde/

Barry

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2008-12-12

When I try to load star catalogues 6, 7 and 8 on builds past 4097 Stellarum crashes if I try to zoom past the point where these catalogues are used.

This does not happen on Build 4082 (late stars.ini file) or any of the earlier builds using the old stars.ini file

Barry

• Mike Storm

Mike Storm - 2008-12-12

That's interesting; I worked on loading large star catalogs. Does Stellarium give you any output to the console when that happens? How much RAM to do you have?

Mike

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks