Feedback
Anonymous
2016-12-31
2017-01-04
  • Comment has been marked as spam. 
    Undo

You can see all pending comments posted by this user  here

Anonymous - 2016-12-31

May be I am blind, but could somebody tell me where the 0.90.xxx beta versions did go?
    I did not find them in the usual place anymore.

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-01

All betas was removed before 0.15.1 release and freash betas not published yet.

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-01

On 01/01/2017 12:02 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

All betas was removed before 0.15.1 release and freash betas not published yet.

does someone have 0.15 or 0.15.1 suitable for ubuntu 14.04? it is a LTS and
      there's still two years support left... April 2019 is the EoL date for 14.04...

we can't update our OS until then and it will be another LTS at that time...
      most likely for us it will be 18.04 LTS... currently it appears that we're on a
      schedule to skip every other LTS...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-02

We cannot release series 0.15 for U14.04 because it has too old version of Qt.

P.S. You can upgrade OS to U16.04LTS

Last edit: Alexander Wolf 2017-01-02
        • waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-02

On 01/02/2017 09:55 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

We cannot release series 0.15 for U14.04 because it has too old version of
          Qt.

QT 5.2.1 is too old?

what features/capabilities does it not provide that Stellarium 15.0 and 15.1
          absolutely has to have?

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-02

Qt's OpenGL handling or the new internal handling of properties, cannot remember exactly. V0.15 changed quite a lot behind the curtains to allow the RemoteControl plugin and other things, mostly multimedia capabilities. The next step of evolution will even require Qt5.4 to get rid of a deprecated Qt module, with a "legacy" mode for systems with Qt5.3. (Raspbian or such.) But we cannot use Qt5.2 any more.

To reverse the question: What makes you critically want to have 0.15? If in despair, you may be able to compile Qt5.5 or later, and compile Stellarium yourself.

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-02

On 01/02/2017 02:44 PM, gzotti wrote:

Qt's OpenGL handling or the new internal handling of properties, cannot
              remember exactly. V0.15 changed quite a lot behind the curtains to allow the
              RemoteControl plugin and other things, mostly multimedia capabilities. The
              next step of evolution will even require Qt5.4 to get rid of a deprecated Qt
              module, with a "legacy" mode for systems with Qt5.3. (Raspbian or such.) But
              we cannot use Qt5.2 any more.

we don't need any of those thing, TBH... none of them affect us and we haven't
              missed them in the previous versions...

To reverse the question: What makes you critically want to have 0.15?

because we're currently stuck with 0.14.3 which has the satellite tracks from
              the other side of the world ghosting all over the screen... i'm the one that
              originally reported the bug and included the screen shot of it... you, gzotti,
              were able to reproduce the bug and get it fixed but you fixed it for 0.15 which
              has knocked us out of using Stellarium until 2019...

it would be totally fantastic if that one fix was back-ported to 0.14 and 0.14.4
              was released... that bug, alone, is worth a point fix release...

If in despair, you may be able to compile Qt5.5 or later, and compile
              Stellarium yourself.

sure... how's that going to break all the rest of our systems and applications
              running kubuntu 14.04.5 LTS?? i won't say anything about our corporate policy of
              maintaining all systems at the same level... we can't just go doing things like
              that on our systems... there's too many other factors in play...

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-02

Sorry, cannot remember this bug. You could of course download a source tarball of 0.14.3, locate the satellite bugfix and compile Stellarium. It is easy and well described.
                I am certainly not to be blamed for your corporate policy of keeping Ubuntu 14.04.

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-02

On 01/02/2017 03:37 PM, gzotti wrote:

Sorry, cannot remember this bug. You could of course download a source
                  tarball of 0.14.3, locate the satellite bugfix and compile Stellarium. It is
                  easy and well described.

i'll have to try to find the bug report... i tried earlier but could not
                  remember where it was filed :(

I am certainly not to be blamed for your corporate policy of keeping Ubuntu

no you are not and you guys are not being blamed for it... the only complaint
                  directed at you guys is the lack of support for LTS versions of OSes that are
                  supported for more years... on the one had, we understand why but it is painful
                  and you are not the only ones getting these complaints...

please do not take it personally... it is not personal at all... all the work
                  you guys do is greatly appreciated... it was just a major disappointment that
                  this particular fix was in a new version that would not run on our supported OS...

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-03

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-03

On 01/03/2017 01:29 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

Are you meant this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium/+bug/1510530 ?

yes, that is it... i thought it was gzotti that did the work but now looking at
                      it, it looks like Alexander did it... my apologies for the mix up...

anyway, yes, that is absolutely the bug i was speaking of... while waiting on it
                      to be fixed, we've updated from 0.14.0 to 0.14.3 as each one came out...

• Hans Lambermont

Hans Lambermont - 2017-01-02

Hey I use and compile Stellarium's head on 14.04.5 LTS with Qt 5.5.0 installed in /opt/Qt5.5.5/ so that it does not interfere with other QT stuff on my system.

Doing this means you have to use a script like this to start stellarium :

export QTDIR="/opt/Qt5.5.0"
                export PATH="/opt/Qt5.5.0/5.4/gcc_64/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/Qt5.5.0/5.5/gcc_64/lib"
                /opt/stellarium/bin/stellarium

No need to touch systems' qt4 or at5 stuff.

-- Hans

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-02

On 01/02/2017 03:55 PM, Hans Lambermont wrote:

Hey I use and compile Stellarium's head on 14.04.5 LTS with Qt 5.5.0
                  installed in /opt/Qt5.5.5/ so that it does not interfere with other QT stuff
                  on my system.

can you please share the details on this? is this package QT5.5 installed or is
                  it sources compiled and installed?

Doing this means you have to use a script like this to start stellarium :

export QTDIR="/opt/Qt5.5.0"
                  export PATH="/opt/Qt5.5.0/5.4/gcc_64/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
                  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/Qt5.5.0/5.5/gcc_64/lib"
                  /opt/stellarium/bin/stellarium

that shouldn't be a problem but it will take us time to full understand it... we
                  have other packages that would benefit from using newer QT but they have taken
                  steps to provide for QT 5.2.1 for another two years because of ubuntu 14.04 LTS...

you may contact me in private if you like... my posts should link to my sf
                  account... if not this account is fine...

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-04

I've ported 18 bugfixes from version 0.15.0 into version 0.14.3 and you can install 0.14.3bp1 from our PPA now: https://code.launchpad.net/~stellarium/+archive/ubuntu/stellarium-releases

P.S. Telescope Control and Scenery 3D plugins disabled!

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2017-01-04

On 01/04/2017 10:51 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

I've ported 18 bugfixes from version 0.15.0 into version 0.14.3 and you can
          install 0.14.3bp1 from our PPA now:
          https://code.launchpad.net/~stellarium/+archive/ubuntu/stellarium-releases

whoohoo! thank you so very very much! updated, installed and the display bug is
          definitely fixed... i'm gonna have some very happy folks around these parts when
          they find out the fix has been handled... thanks again!

P.S. Telescope Control and Scenery 3D plugins disabled!

not sure that anyone around this area was doing anything with them...

thanks again!!

--
          NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
          Please keep mailing list traffic on the list unless
          private contact is specifically requested and granted.

• Comment has been marked as spam. 
      Undo

You can see all pending comments posted by this user  here

Anonymous - 2017-01-01

Thanks for the clear answer.
      Happy new year!

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks