Low FPS in Windows VISTA

Feedback
2007-02-13
2012-10-09
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I upgraded my laptop to VISTA and now I get a frame rate of 0.02. It was running perfect in XP with a high frame rate. Anyone else with this problem. Running in Windows XP compatibility mode made it run even slower.

• Nobody/Anonymous

With regard to the fifth post in the forum. Intel 915GM/GMS/910GML chipset was mentioned -- I believe I have (one of) those on both of my laptops. My recently purchased laptop, running Vista, has specs that are otherwise fine -- 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1 GB DDR2. I achieved a very happy frame rate of just under 60, on my older laptop (1.8Ghz Core Duo, 512MB DDR2, but same unfortunate graphics chipset), which runs Windows XP.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest where I could find updated drivers for this chipset. 20-30 fps would be quite acceptable, considering I'm getting 0.09 now. Just over 1fps if I turn off all Vista's useless visual effects.

Thanks.

-V

• Nobody/Anonymous

Ok, no worries -- the Intel site was very helpful, managed to get the drivers. For anyone else who needs Intel drivers, go to: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Support_Intel.aspx#

Immediately after the driver update, achieved a more respectable frame rate of high 40s or low 50s. It doesn't run quite as smoothly as on XP, but it's passable. However, some things aren't rendered very nicely -- in particular, the solar corona has an odd blocky effect to it. Other than that most things seem normal. Suppose future driver updates might help.

Vista, ironically, has simply given me further encouragement to switch to Linux!

-V

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2007-02-13

It sounds like the 3D is not getting hardware accelerated. Do 3D accelerated drivers work for other applications (e.g. 3D games)? Can you check with another OpenGL application (e.g. bzflag)?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Tried bzflag and same problem, really slow frame rate. I might have to switch back to XP.

• Fabien Chéreau

Fabien Chéreau - 2007-02-13

You may also want to switch to linux (http://www.ubuntu.com/). Stellarium and BZflag are developed on linux.

Fab

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well I just saw in an article on slashdot the Microsoft is snuffing out openGL. The only hope will be for hardware manufacturers to release there own openGL drivers. My problem is my laptop uses an Intel 915GM/GMS/910GML chipset that Vista does not support wholly.

• Matthew Gates

Matthew Gates - 2007-02-13

If anyone has success with Vista + Stellarium + accelerated drivers, please post here. We want to know what drivers you used, what graphics card you have, and if three were any specific configuration steps you needed to take.

Matthew

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2007-02-14

I think the problems coming up with Vista are only the tip of the iceberg. A complete new system like Vista is sure to have teething problems, Remember the problems with XP when it first came out it. It did not start to sort itself out till SP1. I personally will wait till SP1 of Vista comes out before I will even test it.

Barry

• Nobody/Anonymous

Using Nvidia card must use new drivers from website: http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html. Drivers coming with VISTA do not work.

• Nobody/Anonymous

??

• Nobody/Anonymous

I had this problem with windows vista 64 bits.

I have download and install the latest Nvidia driver for my Asus Gforce 7600GS
      and it solve the problem of slow FPS !

So make sure you have the lastest driver for your graphic card recommended
      for your OS.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I confirmed that with the newest driver, even the integrated video card can have the normal FPS in Vista. My computer has Intel 945 display card. The Stellarium works with 20-30 FPS in Vista.

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks