Procession of equinoxes

Feedback
2005-09-18
2015-06-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

How fantastic would it be to view the night sky over Giza at 10,500 bc and see the sphinx facing leo on the vernal quinox?

Are any of the development team felling brave enough to handle a procession of equinox algorithm?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Oooops. Ok, I see in the changelog that you've got precession of the equinoxes. This software is so good it should be made illegal.

However, how can I go back to 10500bc ? There doesn't seem to be a way to enter a date you just have to keep hitting the date icon to decrease the year by one.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Nope. It can't handle it. Try entering a time of -10500:03:20 or March 20 -10500bc either in the config file or via the ext menu or via the command box.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I've logged a bug for this in the ticket tracker.

It's a fantastic program, so thanks a lot guys. I might even get involved in development myself. Is there any developer mailing list/meeting area?

• Nobody/Anonymous

Right. I got the command text box to appear by editing the config.ini file, and entered the command "date utc -10500-03-21" to get me in the vicinity, and it totally threw stellarium. The date on the top status bar turned to ascii symbols like "/:@" , and when I went into the config window, it showed the month as "0" and I couldn't modify it via the gui.

It would be terriffic to see if the theory that the pryamids were built to mirror the configuration in the sky at the vernal equinox at 10500bc could be verified by stellarium. Apparently the sphinx looks at leo in the east, and orions belt is to the side, hence the 3 pyramids.

How great would it be to have a pyramid skin , complete with a script that set the time to 10500bc, vernal equinox located at giza with the correct configuration in the sky.. Now that would get the tongues wagging ! Pretty good publicity too!

• Rob Spearman

Rob Spearman - 2005-09-18

Use the text menu. Hit 'm' and use the arrow keys to go to 2.1 sky time and edit the time there. This is currently the easiest way to set a specific date.

As for a Giza landscape, anyone headed to Egypt?

:)

• Anonymous - 2015-06-03

also want to calculate the rate for a given year

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks