Spherical mirror projection

Feedback
2014-07-08
2014-09-17
  • Paul Bourke

Paul Bourke - 2014-07-08

A couple of questions ... arising from a seemingly sudden upturn in people asking me about Spherical Mirror projection. I generally get one every week or so, just got 4 in the last 2 days. I don't use Stellarium and am pretty much out of the planetarium game in the content of astronomy, although still using domes for all sorts of things. But as per my last post and queries I downloaded Stellarium and see the default spherical mirror config gives a blank screen. :-(

Is there a web page describing the new parameters from the last time I looked at this which I think was 0.11.2. Is it supposed to work?

Is there someone in the community who could quote and I could hire to sort this out once and for all. I would note that this is not just about spherical mirror support, warping is often required for fisheye systems as well, for example when they are not centred.

Note there is increased demand for this perhaps because of the demise of the Nightshade initiative in this regard.

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-07-08

Hi!

In latest version of Stellarium Spherical Mirror distortion works in the specific condition - for screen with 4:3 aspect ratio. We don't tested it on OS X, but on Windows and Linux it work OK.

• Paul Bourke

Paul Bourke - 2014-07-10

Errr, 4x3, no one in their right mind would choose a 4x3 projector these days for spherical mirror projection ... at least not if they wanted decent resolution. I haven't used 4x3 for perhaps 6 years.

• Paul Bourke

Paul Bourke - 2014-07-10

Please note there are lots of reasons to support my very general warp meshes besides spherical mirror. It is often required for fisheye lens projection as well
    I outline a few here
    http://paulbourke.net/dome/whywarp/

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments