Egyptian/Chinese constellations: I need help

Feedback
2006-04-28
2012-10-09
  • András Mohari

András Mohari - 2006-04-28

Now that the names of the above mentioned constellations are finally translatable, I need your help.

I couldn't find Hungarian language material on the Internet, so I'm now looking for some English writings on the subject. I can't simply translate the English names without background info. Any help would be appreciated. (But please, don't recommend books (unless they are online) -- I can't buy any from abroad.)

[HU]
    Ha járnak erre magyarok is: természetesen magyar nyelvű anyagok még jobbak lennének. Ha tudsz valamit (bármit az égvilágon), írj! Minden egyes lefordított név jól jön...
    [/HU]

PS. I've already found a page on Polynesian constellations at:
    http://www.pvs-hawaii.com/navigation/course.htm
    http://malama.hawaii.edu/fred/astronomy/starnames.htm

• Nobody/Anonymous

>(Gee, I wonder. Am I the only one who needs help???)

You are not the only one; I also encountered problems when trying to translate the Ancient Egyptian part, so I left them untouched until someone offers more information on it.

By the way, many English translations of Chinese constellation names are flawed, for instance "Three" should not be "Three" at all, for the name in fact refers to an ancient mythical figure. An overhaul is conducted by me currently and a patch is to be expected, with clear explanations to each name. So things shall become easier by then.

• András Mohari

András Mohari - 2006-05-10

> By the way, many English translations of Chinese constellation names are flawed [...]

Somehow it didn't take me all by surprise. I'm looking forward to having your patch with the explanations.

• Rob Spearman

Rob Spearman - 2006-04-28

We have compiled a list of web sites that may help you:

http://digitaliseducation.com/resources.html

Rob

• András Mohari

András Mohari - 2006-04-28

Nice list, it looks promising. I hope I'll be able to use them. Thank you!

• Nobody/Anonymous

A native with proper knowledge is here if any other translators need helps...

• András Mohari

András Mohari - 2006-05-09

A native Chinese, I guess. The truth is that I got help translating the names. However I still don't know if the translations are correct, since I don't know the constellations. And English words have way too many meanings...

Can you clear up the meanings? (For example, is Well "an issue of water from the earth" or "a pit or hole sunk into the earth to reach a supply of water"?) Or can you give some background info?

(Gee, I wonder. Am I the only one who needs help???)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Both wells in "Well" and "Jade Well" mean "a pit or hole sunk into the earth."

G.S.K.Lee

• András Mohari

András Mohari - 2006-05-10

Thanks! (We've got these two right then. :))

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks