OpenGL and OS requirements for 0.13 ?

Feedback
Keatah
2014-01-27
2014-02-26
  • Keatah

Keatah - 2014-01-27

Some questions:
    What will be the minimum OpenGL requirements for stellarium .13?
    Will 0.13 work under windows XP?
    And will 0.13 be able to be run with software-only rendering? A safe-mode?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-27

OpenGL 2+ needed for Stellarium 0.13

• Anonymous - 2014-01-27

OpenGL 1 won't be supported at all?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-29

Sorry, no plans for OpenGL 1

• Keatah

Keatah - 2014-02-04

software safe mode?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-02-04

No. Only OpenGL 2+, no software rendering, no OpenGL1 rendering.

• Anonymous - 2014-02-06

That's sad. But, excuse me, what is the OpenGL2.0 for? I wonder why. We used to think Stellarium can run on any PC...

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-02-09

Well, we drop support of graphics cards, which was made in the previous century.

• Anonymous - 2014-02-20

Too bad..

• Anonymous - 2014-02-22

Hello Starry Night then..! Payware or not makes no differece!

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-02-22

You can tried DirectX edition of Stellarium ;)

• Anonymous - 2014-02-23

a DirectX version? Please explain? I don't know of any DX version.. something new?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-02-23

Yes, we work under creating DirectX edition of Stellarium for Microsoft Windows (possible will be 4 packages: 32-bit DirectX, 64-bit DirectX, 32-bit OpenGL and 64-bit OpenGL).

Of course DirectX edition not clean DirectX application - we use ANGLE library for translation OpenGL functions into DirectX functions.

At the moment we have pre-alpha for core of 0.13.0 with DirectX support - https://launchpad.net/stellarium/+download

Last edit: Alexander Wolf 2014-02-23
  • Keatah

Keatah - 2014-02-23

Wow. stay away from stellarium msg board for 2 weeks and I come back to seeing this! A DirectX port? That could be nice. If it would work on my system of course.

I got to trying out this file " stellarium-0.13.0-core-dx-win32.exe (md5) " but it kept saying "not a valid win32 application". I was trying this on WinXP sp3 with a 32-bit processor.

Eventually I'll update some hardware sooner or later.

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-02-23

I get the same "not a valid win32 application" I suspect that there are missing files from the package that are required if you do not have Qt5 with ANGLE and MSVC installed and operational.

As far as I can ascertain the problems of platforms and OpenGL can be got around by compiling Stellarium with ANGLE which translates OpenGgl calls to Direct X. However this is going to add another layer of complexity to the Stellarium display that well may have additional problems.

Barry

Last edit: barrykgerdes 2014-02-23
    • Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-02-24

I get the same "not a valid win32 application" I suspect that there are missing files from the package that are required if you do not have Qt5 with ANGLE and MSVC installed and operational.

No, I just forgot switch MSVC to WinXP compatible mode.

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-02-25

I agree with Timothy.
    Why do we want to become beholden to Microsoft any more than we need to be to get Stellarium to work in windows.

OpenGl is the free version of the graphics language. In keeping with the principles of stellarium.

We seem to be hell bent on using the latest versions of OpenGl and Qt for very little gain but a great loss of flexibility.

Barry

• Keatah

Keatah - 2014-02-26

As a longtime use and proponent of Stellarium - I want to see continued support of old hardware. I built a few dedicated Stellarium modules (tiny computers in a 1x2x2 box) but of course they only support older standards.

I also agree with barrykgerdes in that I only change environments and libraries is there's a genuine and significant advantage. But just to update just to update? I don't know..

• Bogdan Marinov

Bogdan Marinov - 2014-02-26

Just to clarify: there's no "DirectX port", meaning that nobody is re-writing Stellarium to replace OpenGL function calls with DirectX function calls.

The latest versions of Qt require OpenGL 2/OpenGL ES 2 for interface rendering. This means that Stellarium may stop to work on some older systems. On Windows, one of the solutions is to build Stellarium with a version of the Qt libraries that uses the ANGLE library that emulates OpenGL(ES)2 support by using DirectX, which would allow using Stellarium on older hardware. Linux users are covered by native software rendering (indeed, that's why I can continue to contribute despite both my current computers supporting OpenGL only up to 1.4).

I will refrain from the more broad discussion about using the latest version of Qt. I will just mention that there is at least one advantage - Qt 5.2 introduced time zone support, which will make adding location-specific time zones to Stellarium much easier.

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-02-26

The one big problem I have with Qt5 is that we have lost audio/video that was very useful in scripts. Fix this and we will have made some real progress.

Barry

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks