satellites.json missing "lastUpdated line"??

Feedback
2012-10-30
2012-12-05
  • waldo kitty

    waldo kitty - 2012-10-30

    under what circumstances would satellites.json be missing the entire "lastUpdated" line??

    i was doing some updating of my satellites entries earlier... i updated my cross reference files and performed another manual update in stellarium right after having already done a manual update some 30 minutes previous... no satellites were updated at all... not even those with the common name change... so, i think to myself, "self, that's ok... we'll just run thru the json file with a quick search'n'replace edit and change all the lastUpdated lines." well, i had a few different dates to change and i wanted to make sure i didn't miss any... so i'm scrolling down thru this monstrous file i have and there are hundreds of entries that do not have a "lastUpdated" line at all... i've just finished manually adding that line to all entries that did not have it... another quick search on another machine with the identical file shows me that there are some 2400 or so records (out of 11189 total) without that lastUpdated line...

    so now i'm wondering why/how there can be any entries without that line... again, i've not gone digging thru the code... i've got too much code in my head now ;)

    WISHLIST: can we have an option to sort the entries in the window by their NORAD number, please? alphabetical by common name is fine but there are times that sorting by their NORAD number and even their International number is very desirable... especially when trying to locate one particular record or group of records for some reason...

     
  • Bogdan Marinov

    Bogdan Marinov - 2012-10-30

    under what circumstances would satellites.json be missing the entire "lastUpdated" line??

    I'll have to look at it, but this will happen later.

    WISHLIST: can we have an option to sort the entries in the window by their NORAD number, please? alphabetical by common name is fine but there are times that sorting by their NORAD number and even their International number is very desirable... especially when trying to locate one particular record or group of records for some reason...

    In theory, yes, but it will require some work, as the current implementation has been taken as far as one can go with the standard Qt classes. We'll also have to cram more controls in the GUI. :(

     
  • waldo kitty

    waldo kitty - 2012-10-30

    I'll have to look at it, but this will happen later.


    ok...

    FWIW: i was trying to update the common names when i discovered this... as it were, it didn't work like i expected... perhaps i should have altered the global last update timestamp? maybe then it would have taken the common names updates?

    In theory, yes, but it will require some work, as the current implementation has been taken as far as one can go with the standard Qt classes. We'll also have to cram more controls in the GUI. :(


    i was thinking of something simple, actually... there's a popup box, when you right click on the scroll bar, that allows you to page up/down, go to the top/bottom, etc... i was thinking of something similar for the common names list where you right click on the list and a box pops up with the sorting options... the current one would be hilited somehow... then you click on the one you want and there ya go... i can think of four sorting options that might be handy... alphabetical, NORAD#, Int'l#, and epoch...

    i know, right? as a coder, myself, "simple" isn't always simple ;)

     
  • Bogdan Marinov

    Bogdan Marinov - 2012-11-01

    So, according to the code in the development branch (unlikely to have been changed since 0.11.4):

    Update scheduling is done according to the "last_update" value in the "Satellites" section of Stellarium's main configuration file. It should be ignored if you force a manual update.

    The "lastUpdated" parameter in individual satellite entries in the "satellites.json" file is set when an entry is updated. It's not otherwise used. As far as I can remember, it was added when we were wondering about what to do with satellites with old elements.

    During the update process, the source TLE set lists are read and satellites are matched by NORAD number. If there's any difference between the TLEs or the common name of a satellite, it is updated, and "lastUpdated" is set to the current date.

     
  • waldo kitty

    waldo kitty - 2012-12-05

    ok, that makes sense... is there any time that it would be removed? i'm just trying to get a handle on why it would not be there when starting with a clean empty satellites.json file and importing from the server... the process was bacically this...

    open the satellites screen with ALT-Z
    switch to the satellites list tab
    select all satellites and delete them
    now click the + button and select all satellites from the server
    wait a few minutes as they are added
    select all satellites and click the orbit checkbox

    that last step can be pretty slow, too... as slow or slower than importing all of them from the server if you have a large list like i do... i've gotten to the place where i will exit stellarium and open the json file in an editor and change the displayorbit option from "false" to "true" with a search'n'replace... that takes only moments and then i save and start stellarium back up for my session... in fact, this is how i saw that the last_update setting was missing on a bunch of the satellites...

     


Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments





Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks