Feedback
Anonymous
2017-01-01
2017-01-10
  • Comment has been marked as spam. 
    Undo

You can see all pending comments posted by this user  here

Anonymous - 2017-01-01

Hello, I am currently trying to utilize Stellarium's latest version and features to control my telescope in conjunction with Celestron's NexRemote via virtual port; telescope NexStar GPS11. I have recently purchased a few 64 bit CPU's that are a littel outdated but I feel with some upgrades and workarounds they will serve my purposes well at at least in the near future. Anyway, my problem is getting Stellarium to run on these machines.

CPU
    HP DC7800 Small Form Factor

Processor
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Memory 4 GBytes

Display adapter
    Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family
    Memory size 256 MB
    OpenGL 1.4

OS
    Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
    DirectX Version 11.0

*Stated Problem:
    Upon opening Stellaium version 15.1 64 bit I get the error: "No OpenGL 2.0 found on this system. Upgrade hardware or use MESA or an older version." As listed above I am running OpenGL 1.4. with graphics on the motherboard.*

I appear to be at a crossroad and need to make some descions as to how best get Stellarium running on my CPU. Any suggetions here would be grealty appreciated. Please keep in mind my priorities are as follows:

1. Must be compatible with NexRemote virtual port connection.

2. Should have the lastest (or reliable) telescope control features. I just need to be able to point and slew with good results.

3. The performance is at an accaptable level. It doesnt have to be lighting fast but I dont want to be at crawl speed either. I understand older versions or MESA may be very slow.

4. Has access to the lastest star cataloques, or at least allow CD copies to load on the display.

At any rate, I have detemined that I have a number of options here:

a. Add a graphics card that has OpenGL 2 or better compatiblity.

b. Run an older version of Stellaruim that will work with my current system setup.

c. Run the MESA version, which I know nothing about or even where to download.

Other than giving up on Stellarium and using something else, have I missed anything? I really would like to use this software but not at the cost of the above priorities.

A few additional notes:
    To add a graphics card I will necessarily need to install a x1.0 PCI card type. I do have a x16 slot but I am reserving this for a USB 3 card. I have located numerous x1 graphic cards on the web but I am unsure how they will perform with Stellarium. Maybe there are some x1 cards that others on this forum have found that work well?

If I am to run an older version of Stellarium which version would be best for my needs? Also, if utilizing a 32 bit version would that necessarily mean lossing substantial benefits of the 64 bit version i.e. speed for one thing?

Thanks in advance
    -Scott​

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-01

What happens if you launch the "Stellarium (MESA mode)" link which is located in the Stellarium folder in your start menu?
    Else, about 35$ for a new graphics card? Or find a 5 year old NVidia or AMD graphics card?

Undo

Anonymous - 2017-01-02

Opening in MESA mode gives me the same OpenGL errror.
    Yes, installing a new graphics card seems to be the way to go, I'm just concernd about performance. I've read somwhere on the Stellarium site or Sourceforge, not sure, there are compatablity issues with some of these cards. I don't recall which.

I found this PCIe x1 card at a very reasonable price but it says video. Not sure if thats the correct card and if it will run Stellarium. I'm guessing video is not right. I haven't had to deal with installing components in a long while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500395&cm_re=zotac_geforce_710_directx_12--14-500-395--Product

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-02

"Video" just means you attach your screen to it. Some cards from 2007 have compatibility issues with approx. version 0.9 and later. A Geforce 710 is low-range for gaming, but should work well with Stellarium 0.15. If you install the drivers!

Undo

Anonymous - 2017-01-02

Well that's encouraging. I think I'll wait to see if anyone else can comment on this card or others before I purchase. Maybe there's something better out there I'll want to consider.

Thank you for your help!

-Scott​

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-02

For NVidia XYY, the first number (7 in your case) is card generation, and second number is a rough power indicator. Currently you will also find "970" or even "1080" cards, these are recommended for high-end gaming. Stellarium does not require those high-end cards. If you want to build large 3D models, then something with 4GB RAM and maybe a "60" or stronger would be better, but may require a stronger power source. For a quiet PC driving a telescope, the basic 710 with passive cooling should do fine. My father has a 210 card, it works there.

Undo

Anonymous - 2017-01-02

Ok, I'm going to try this card.
    Thanks again for your help!
    -Scott

Undo

Anonymous - 2017-01-09

Hello, as a folowup to this thread, I installed the 710 card and stellarium is running fine.I also increased the memory from 4 to 6gb. If you intend to use this card, beware that audio drives will install to your system if you don't uncheck them from the install. I didn't notice this until too late. My original audio drives have been removed, deleted, destroyed - unknow, and now I have no sound. Not sure why a graphic card drivers installs aduio - huh? Maybe not an issue on a newer system; mine is a little outdated.

Anyway, thanks for the help - Scott

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-09

Strange that installing removed existing audio drivers. I can only guess, the new ones may output sound over HDMI. But most audio drivers should be available from the Internet, good luck restoring them. Or maybe you can switch audio outputs in some audio settings panel? Systems are too different to give better advice.

Undo

Anonymous - 2017-01-10

That install changed the bios settings. Reenabled the integrated audio and then was able to reinstall the correct drivers.. All is well again.
    I also now have a NexRemote virtual port connection with slews to telescope. The configuration was very simple and I am greatly impressed so far with Sellarium. All the configurations are very intuitve, well done!

Thx - Scott

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks