Precise Kind/Name of Cylinder Map Projection Used In Stellarium Is What?

Feedback
Anonymous
2013-06-22
2013-06-23
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-06-22

Hello everybody! I thought maybe someone might know this. In the options for map projections to view the night sky in Stellarium, one of the projections listed is simply called "cylinder." There are, of course, numerous different kinds of cylindrical map projections. Does anyone know, for sure, which one Stellarium uses. Please don't say if you're not sure. If you think you know, please say how you know. I'd really like to know. Thanks!

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2013-06-22

From description: The full name of this projection mode is cylindrical equidistant projection. With this projection all parallels are equally spaced.

• Anonymous - 2013-06-23

Thanks. Yes, I see that, now. It says, though, Maximum FOV: 233 dgrees to 333 degrees and lists Maximum FOV for Hammer-Aitoff as 360 dgrees. When I compare the same skies in each map projection, though, Cylinder and Hammer-Aitoff, I don't see any constellations or parts of constellations missing that are in Hammer-Aitoff. Wouldn't that mean that Cylinder is showing the same amount of sky as Hammer-Aitoff?

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments