Polygon landscape? And Geneve?

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-01-02
2014-01-02
  • Anonymous - 2014-01-02

Two separate issues...

First, the wiki documentation on Customizing Landscapes under the Polygonal Line Method states, "The landscape.ini file for a polygonal type landscape looks like this (this example is based on the Geneve landscape which was borrowed from Cartes du Ciel and comes with Stellarium): " I see no "Geneve" choice in my version (freshly downloaded 12.4,) and the PDF user guide makes no mention of a 'polygonal' choice.

Second, when I tried creating my own according to the directions, the program log states, "Unknown landscape type 'polygonal'" then goes on to say it expected a fisheye projection.

So, was this something that's been taken out (and if so, grr, as I really don't want to go through the trouble of trying to make a picture landscape,) or is this something yet coming? Or was somebody smoking something?

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-02

this type of landscape. introduced. into version. 0.13.0

• Anonymous - 2014-01-02

That explains it, thank you for the explanation! :) My problem is not just not wanting to take time, it is also that I am in a box of buildings and have a sheer North face and large East face and don't have a camera that can handle that large a field. My lowest elevation is about 20 degrees, highest is somewhere between 70 and 85 for a long stretch.

So last night, figuring that may be the answer, I still managed to do what I needed thus:

1) Take the Moon png file, save a copy to new directory in landscapes folder. Do same with the landscape.ini file.
    2) Resize the png canvas to 720 * 180, and save a copy. (Used FastStone for that, know it can be done in GIMP.)
    3) In GIMP, delete the existing picture.
    4) Draw a line from 0,90 to 720,90, using a color for the terminator - I chose dull light brown/orange.
    5) Anything below pixel 90 is ground. Color appropriately with fill tool - I took a dark blue, deeper than Navy.
    6) Draw lines above pixel 90 representing my horizon angles, vertical is elevation degree, horizontal is azimuth times two (i.e. bearing 060 becomes X 120, bearing 185 becomes X 370, etc.)
    7) Use the bucket fill to paint the interior of the horizon wireframe with appropriate color. I chose a forest greeny color.
    8) Export the file from GIMP back to a .png in the landscape directory
    9) Edit the landscape.ini file using the Wiki parameters, my parameter file is:

[landscape]
    name = darren
    type = spherical
    author = Darren Erickson
    description = Horizon lines describing observing location from Darren's porch.
    maptex = darren4.png
    maptex_top = 90
    maptex_bottom = 0
    maptex_fog_top = 10
    angle_rotatez = -89.1
    polygonal_horizon_list = darren1.txt
    polygonal_horizon_list_mode = azDeg_altDeg
    polygonal_angle_rotatez = 0
    minimal_brightness = 0.0075

9A) I had a horizon list because of what I was doing, so I included that as a file.
    10) Fire up Stellarium and change landscape. Note any problems, repeat steps 6-9 as necessary.

I expect to tweak my "picture" proper a bit more, maybe even add textures.... But it works very well! :)

Thanks to you and all the devs - it's such a beautiful tool to use. Been using it for years even though I finally got my first telescope this last Christmas.

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks