Filter for satellite's luminosity.

Feedback
2017-01-01
2017-01-08
  • Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-01

Hello. I would like to congratulate the team for producing such a great software.
    I also would like to make a request. Could it be feasible to add a filter of luminosity for the satellites, at a given time and place? It would be much appreciated. Thank you, keep up the great work.

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-01

Thanks for congratulations. Can you give a use case for this request?

• Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-01

Hi. Well, it'a funny thing to do for newbies like myself to look to the sky after dawn to look for ISS, iridium flares and space trash. The first two can be spotted with Stellarium, but the other satellites are more difficult since there are so many. A prevision of the visible sats in the following say 24 hours would be great.

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-02

Is it correct: are you want see list of satellites with prediction of brightness in next 24 hours?

• Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-03

Yes, a list ordered by brightness would be great, thank you.
    Also a script that could, in the sky view, hide invisible satellites and show the visible ones as large dots would be very interesting.

Last edit: Amandio Coxito 2017-01-03
  • gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-03

Are you aware of the boldfaced setting "Realistic mode for the artificial satellites" in the Satellite Plugin configuration panel?

• Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-04

Hi. The option alterns between displaying satellites as icons or as points with variable brightness, yes?

• gzotti

gzotti - 2017-01-04

Yes. This should solve your request if hiding invisible satellites and showing visible ones as dots. For prediction lists, heavens-above.com provides such service.

• Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-05

Thank you for the info.
    Still, it would be very interesting to track satellites in real time with Stellarium.
    Yet the labels clutter the screen a bit and they are hard to spot, specially on the field using a laptop with a low resolution monitor.
    I wonder if a script could hide the distant satellites (ie. GPS, geosynchronous) and the invisible ones.
    Then with realistic mode on and large labels, the visible sats would be clearly distinguishable, I wonder.

• Amandio Coxito

Amandio Coxito - 2017-01-08

It seems the link for the scripting documentation is broken. Thanks for any help.

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2017-01-08

Thanks for report. Fixed!

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks