config.ini changes don't work...

Feedback
2006-03-30
2012-10-09
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Absolutely fanta-terrific-great program!! :-)))

I just have a little problem... I'd like to change the default location's coordinates, and I'd like to do it manually by changing the config.ini file, so that I can input the exact longitude and latitude.
    Well, I actually have modified the config.ini file (I just checked, and the coordinates are exactly those I had typed), but when i re-start the program, it opens just on the old coordinates... as if I hadn't modified anything! I tried and tried again, but to no avail...

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2006-04-01

If you are on windows XP. The configuration file is in the \program files\stellarium\config folder.

To ensure you have the right files run stellarium and from the menu bar select the config window then location to see the map of the world. Click on your approximate location (the co-ords of the selection will show) note what these are.

Click on save location and exit the program. Look in the above folder and view the config.ini file (with wordpad) and look at the location entry (last group).

The location co-ords you noted above should be there. If they are not you must be in the wrong area of your computer. Maybe you have a second copy of the program mounted. If they are there all you need to do is change the location name to your own and insert your precise co-ords in the same form. Also change the height above sea level to your own (in metres). Then save the file.

Barry

• Fabien Chéreau

Fabien Chéreau - 2006-03-30

If you are on linux hge config file is in your $HOME/.stellarium/ directory.

Fab

• Nobody/Anonymous

I forgot to say that I'm on Windows Xp, I'm
        sorry..

I changed the config.ini file, but as I said, when I started the program again, the coordinates in the Configuration panel hadn't changed (even if the numbers in the config.ini file were changed, of course).
        By the way, what are those two others .ini files that are in the config directory?

thanks again.