satellite plugin

Feedback
Anonymous
2014-01-03
2014-01-07
  • Anonymous - 2014-01-03

how can i change the icon image shown for satellites?

i'd like to reduce the image to something a bit smaller and of a little different image... something similar to what heavensat uses with their marker, point and marker/point options... on the one hand, i hope to speed up drawing time with smaller images... especially with 15000+ satellites being handled... framerates for 0.12.4 dropped dramatically (0.008) from the previous 11.04 (10+)...

how can i change the colors used for satellites?

the grey/dark grey are ok but i'd like to set these colors like we can for the other options in the config... specifically, i'd like to set visible (in the sun) to white, penumbra (in the first shadow) to a slightly darked yellow, umbra (second shadow) to a darker blue, and totally in shadow to a dark grey...

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-01-03

In your user area you will find a modules folder with the satellite plug in. In this folder there is a file satellites.json. you can change the "hintColor". for each entry. It ranges from 0 to 1 for quantity of R,G and B

However the displayed icon "hint.png" is fixed but can only be change by re-compiling the plugin. The icon will be found in the source plugins/satellites/resources folder. Any change will only occur after re-compiling the source.

Barry

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-03

i'm the author of the original post... i didn't realize that i was not logged in
      when i wrote it and after submitting it, it was too late :/

On 1/2/2014 11:43 PM, barrykgerdes wrote:

In your user area you will find a modules folder with the satellite plug in. In
      this folder there is a file satellites.json. you can change the "hintColor". for
      each entry. It ranges from 0 to 1 for quantity of R,G and B

thanks... i wasn't sure of the hint color was for the satellite or the text in
      the top left corner of the screen... i'm guessing, based on the description,
      that only one base color is available which will be adjusted in "brightness" by
      the software to the existing two shades??

However the displayed icon "hint.png" is fixed but can only be change by
      re-compiling the plugin. The icon will be found in the source
      plugins/satellites/resources folder. Any change will only occur after
      re-compiling the source.

ouch... can we get this adjusted to be a loadable image when one edits the json
      file?

speaking of the json file, how do you add new groups when you wipe everything
      clean and import your own list of satellites?

eg:
      1. install stellarium
      2. turn on satellites plugin
      3. close config screens to watch main stellarium viewport
      4. ALT-Z to bring up satellites plugin
      5. click satellites tab
      6. hilite all listed satellites
      7. click the '-' button to remove them
      8. click the '+' button to add satellites
      9. choose from the presented list
      10. select a newly added satellite
      11. try to create a group to place it in

at step 7, all the groups are removed from the groups box in the panel... at
      step 11, there's no way to create a new group to be able to add a satellite to...

--
      NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.
      Please keep mailing list traffic on the list unless
      private contact is specifically requested and granted.

• barrykgerdes

barrykgerdes - 2014-01-03

A folder "Stellarium" with all the user accessible data folders is created the first time you run stellarium and many files get automatically updated but only the variable parts are changed. If you have changed parts of the files the changes will stay.

The .json data files and .ini files can be edited in a text editor to contain any info you like as long as the correct syntax is maintained.

If you delete the folder it will be re-created with the default version next time you run stellarium. Thus I just change the name if I want to test new versions that may not be compatible so a new one will then be created. Swapping names around will allow multiple configurations.

At the moment all development on the released version of stellarium has stopped

A new version 0.13.0 is being worked on but it is missing a lot of features and functions that don't work with Qt 5 and qml so it is a long way from a stable release.

Barry

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-04

On 1/3/2014 2:03 PM, barrykgerdes wrote:

A folder "Stellarium" with all the user accessible data folders is created the
      first time you run stellarium and many files get automatically updated but only
      the variable parts are changed. If you have changed parts of the files the
      changes will stay.

i don't understand what this is in reference to... i'm suspecting that you were
      trying to answer my question about the satellite groups?? if so, please make
      note that if one removes all satellites in the manner i described, there is no
      way to add groups without manually editing the json file... it should not be
      like that, IMHO...

The /.json data files and /.ini files can be edited in a text editor to contain
      any info you like as long as the correct syntax is maintained.

If you delete the folder it will be re-created with the default version next
      time you run stellarium. Thus I just change the name if I want to test new
      versions that may not be compatible so a new one will then be created. Swapping
      names around will allow multiple configurations.

yes, i do this all the time ;)

At the moment all development on the released version of stellarium has stopped

i understand that...

A new version 0.13.0 is being worked on but it is missing a lot of features and
      functions that don't work with Qt 5 and qml so it is a long way from a stable
      release.

wow! are the sources being rewritten with each release or?? one would think that
      the next version would have at least the same capabilities of the existing
      release... i'm just surprised, that's all...

--

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-06

i don't understand what this is in reference to... i'm suspecting that you were trying to answer my question about the satellite groups?? if so, please make note that if one removes all satellites in the manner i described, there is no way to add groups without manually editing the json file... it should not be like that, IMHO...

Of course you can use GUI for create a new group - look at http://astro.uni-altai.ru/~aw/stellarium/stellarium-satellites-newgroup.png

wow! are the sources being rewritten with each release or?? one would think that the next version would have at least the same capabilities of the existing release... i'm just surprised, that's all...

No, current 0.13.0 of course based on 0.12.4, but (!) 0.13.0 also based on Qt5 and some features was disabled temporary when we began porting Stellarium.

P.S. We introduced "realistic mode" to Satellites plugin in 0.13.0 ;)

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-06

On 1/6/2014 3:38 AM, Alexander Wolf wrote:

i don't understand what this is in reference to... i'm suspecting that you
          were trying to answer my question about the satellite groups?? if so, please
          make note that if one removes all satellites in the manner i described,
          there is no way to add groups without manually editing the json file... it
          should not be like that, IMHO...

Of course you can use GUI for create a new group - look at
          http://astro.uni-altai.ru/~aw/stellarium/stellarium-satellites-newgroup.png

as i reported before -- you /cannot/ create groups when there are no groups
          already existing... this is with 0.11.4 and 0.12.4... i've tried too many
          times... i'll explain it again...

1. install stellarium
          2. enable the satellite plugin
          3. in the configure for the satellite plugin, delete all satellites
          4. add one satellite (eg: 25544 ISS)
          5. hilite that one satellite
          6. how do you create a new group??

http://www.wpusa.dynip.com/wpusa_images/stellarium-nosatellitegroups.png

wow! are the sources being rewritten with each release or?? one would think
          that the next version would have at least the same capabilities of the
          existing release... i'm just surprised, that's all...

No, current 0.13.0 of course based on 0.12.4, but (!) 0.13.0 also based on Qt5
          and some features was disabled temporary when we began porting Stellarium.

P.S. We introduced "realistic mode" to Satellites plugin in 0.13.0 ;)

sounds nice but will have to wait and see if it works on my machines ;) in any
          case, we look forward to it :)

--

• Alexander Wolf

Alexander Wolf - 2014-01-07

This is bug - please fill bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/stellarium)

• waldo kitty

waldo kitty - 2014-01-07

done... Stellarium -> Bugs -> Bug #1266899

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks