Menu

my_gdb: can't PTRACE_PEEKTEXT - 'Input/output error' (errno=5)

Help
2015-06-03
2016-01-22
  • David Lindsay

David Lindsay - 2015-06-03

I'm getting the above error whenever I try to run Statifier on pretty much any program. My last test invocation was attempting to process /bin/true.

This is on a Slackware 14.0 system, running on a older machine I use to expose software inefficiency bugs, which FWIW has an 800MHz Duron and 620MB RAM.

I have absolutely no idea what other information might be helpful, feel free to request more data and details.

SSH access to the machine is also a possibility - I myself find that can be invaluable in certain situations :)

• Valery Reznic

Valery Reznic - 2015-06-04

Hi, David. If you can provide me ssh access it will be much easier than ping-pong with questions. You can send access details to the valery_reznic at yahoo dot com

• theYinYeti

theYinYeti - 2015-07-24

Hi! I have the same problem. Any news on this issue?

• Valery Reznic

Valery Reznic - 2015-08-05

No :(. If you can give me ssh access to the problematic box I can have a look

• Barak A. Pearlmutter

I did a preliminary packaging of statifier for debian (see github.com/barak/statifier) and it has the same problem. Email barak@pearlmutter.net and I'll arrange ssh access to a box manifesting this issue.

• Kandalintsev Alexandre

Hi! Any news on this? Do you still need an access?

• Valery Reznic

Valery Reznic - 2015-10-23

Sorry for delay, I somehow missed your post. I solved this problem, no ssh access needed anymore. I'll release new version shortly

• Emiliano

Emiliano - 2016-01-21

Hello Valery,
    I have the same problem too using ELF Statifier with CloudFlare CFSSL (compiled with CGO).

It seems that, at this time, pure Go (golang) code can be statically linked by Go compiler, but golang code linking to external C libraries needs to be compiled with CGO (a gcc-based compiler) and then is dinamically linked to libc.
    Recent revisions of CFSSL link to sqlite, preventing the creation of statically linked binaries. However Ermine works, but would be better to have a free tool (ELF Statifier) to build a free software.

Is there any new release or a source repository with updated code solving the problem?

Many thanks and kind regards.

• Valery Reznic

Valery Reznic - 2016-01-22

Statifier 1.7.4 that solved my_gdb: can't PTRACE_PEEKTEXT - 'Input/output error' (errno=5) problem released