STAF Email Service

Help
lightfyq
2012-11-26
2013-06-12
  • lightfyq

lightfyq - 2012-11-26

While I am using STAF Email Service on Linux it is failed with RC 4500, but I didn't find any error code related to 4500, anyone can help to check the issue? Thanks a million!
    Error:
    staf localhost email send to <replace with email address> from <replace with email address> subject "test" message "test"
    Error submitting request, RC: 4500
    Additional info

500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "XXXXXXXXXXXXX 1.0"

Linux, uname -a:
    2.6.18-308.20.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Nov 6 04:43:35 EST 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-11-26

See section "Email Error Code Reference" in the Email Service User's Guide at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/email.html#Errors.  It says:

"In addition to the common STAF return codes, the following Email return codes are defined:

Table 1. Email Service Return Codes

Error Code 44XX or 45XX means an SMTP Error occurred.  The Email request generated an SMTP error. The SMTP error code is the last 3 digits of the error code. See section 4.2 in RFC 821 for an explanation of SMTP return codes (e.g. 450, 503, 553, etc).

SMTP return code 500 means "Syntax error, command unrecognized "

You can also check the Email service's error log for any additional information about the error.  For example:

# STAF local LOG QUERY LOGNAME email MACHINE {STAF/Config/MachineNickname} LAST 50

Also, see section "Using Telnet to Debug Mail Server Problems" in the Email Service User's Guide at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/email.html#Header_Telnet.  It says:

"If you are having problems getting your mail server to send emails via the STAF Email service, you can try submitting the same email request via telnet. It should fail in the same way the STAF Email service fails. If so then you will need to investigate why your mail server is unable to send the email. Here are the steps to send the email via telnet (these commands are essentially what the STAF Email service is sending):  …"

• lightfyq

lightfyq - 2012-11-27

Thanks slucas for your quick reply :)

I have tried following ways:
    1.  telnet <mailserver.company.com> 25
    Got response:
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 ****************************************************************************************************

Then enter the following 10 commands each followed by "ENTER":

HELO hostname.company.com
    MAIL FROM: <STAFEmailService@hostname.company.com>
    RCPT TO: <userid@company.com>
    DATA
    To: <userid@company.com>
    Subject: My subject
    This is my email message
    QUIT

Can Send/Receive Email successfully

2. telnet <mailserver.company.com> 25

Then paste the following commands and press "ENTER":

HELO hostname.company.com
    MAIL FROM: <STAFEmailService@hostname.company.com>
    RCPT TO: <userid@company.com>
    DATA
    To: <userid@company.com>
    Subject: My subject
    This is my email message
    QUIT

Got Error:
    250 2.1.0 <STAFEmailService@hostname.company.com>… Sender ok
    250 2.1.5 <userid@company.com>… Recipient ok
    354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

3. Use staf Email Service
    STAF Version: 3.4.11

staf localhost email send to <replace with email address> from <replace with email address> subject "test" message "test"

Then check the Log: # STAF local LOG QUERY LOGNAME Email MACHINE {STAF/Config/MachineNickname} LAST 50

20121127-07:25:19 Info   SEND TO [userid@company.com,
                             userid@company.com] CC  BCC  FROM <STAFEmailService
                            @hostname> SUBJECT test CONTENTTYPE te
                            xt/plain                                              
    20121127-07:25:19 Info   220 ************************
                            *******************************************************
                            *****************                                     
    20121127-07:25:20 Info   250 <hostname> Hell
                            o , pleased to meet you                  
    20121127-07:25:20 Info   250 2.1.0 STAFEmailService@<hostname>… Sender ok                
    20121127-07:25:21 Info   250 2.1.5 userid@company.com
                            … Recipient ok                                      
    20121127-07:25:21 Info   250 2.1.5 userid@company.com
                            … Recipient ok                                      
    20121127-07:25:22 Error  500 5.5.1 Command unrecogniz
                            ed: "XXXXXXXXXXXXX 1.0"

Notes: I replaced the STAF installed servername to <hostname>, sorry about the inconvenience :):)

Following Things I am not sure about:
    1. in the log, "FROM" is changed to  STAFEmailService@<hostname>, and add another "userid@company.com" to TO list
    2. error for way#2 and way#3 are much similar

Thank you very much for your help :):)

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-12-05

I don't know.  The mail server that you configured the Email service to use may behave differently than the mail servers that the Email service supports.  The Email service supports the basic Internet email transmission protocol, SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol).

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks