When will staf be support windows 8?

Help
yan wang
2012-03-21
2013-06-12
  • yan wang

yan wang - 2012-03-21

Does anybody know the schedule of windows 8 supporting?

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-03-21

There is an open Feature Request for providing support for STAF on Windows 8.  To keep track of its status and for more information, see http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3436065&group_id=33142&atid=407384.

Note that it appears that STAF itself runs fine on Windows 8 Consumer/Developer Preview.  It's just the installer that STAF uses (InstallAnywhere 2010) isn't working on Windows 8.  The link to the Feature Request talks about another way you can install STAF until the installer issue is resolved.  I've reported the issue to Flexera (owner of InstallAnywhere) and they will be looking into providing support for Windows 8 but they have not yet provided a schedule on when the problem will be resolved (as Windows 8 itself is still under development).

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-03-22

I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32-bit on a system.  Then I successfully installed STAF V3.4.8 using the console mode as follows:

C:\temp>STAF348-setup-win32.exe -i console

Note:  When I tried to install in GUI mode (e.g. didn't specify -i console), I got an "Installer UI Mode Error:  Installer User Interface Mode Not Supported.  Use the -i command line option followed by the UI mode identifier:  GUI, Console, Silent".

The "Default Install Folder" default showed up incorrectly as "\usr/local/staf" so I specified C:\STAF.  I'll look into fixing that.

I used the defaults for all the other install options and STAF installed successfully.

Note: The "Disk Space Information" displayed during the console install showed "Error!" for "Available" but that did not cause any issues.  That is something that InstallAnywhere will need to fix.

Also, the environment variables did not appear to be updated even though I selected the default  "System" for environment variable updates.  I'll look into this.

To start STAFProc I opened a command prompt:

cd C:\STAF
    startSTAFProc.bat

In another command prompt, I set the environment variables by running STAFEnv.bat from the C:\STAF directory and then I verified that I could submit a STAF ping:

C:\>STAF local PING PING

I'll be doing more testing, but I wanted to let people know that STAF can be installed successfully on Windows 8 via console mode.

• yan wang

yan wang - 2012-03-23

Thanks! Tried it, works fine!

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-03-23

I was also able to install STAF V3.4.8 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32-bit using the GUI mode by specifying the "-i GUI" option as follows:

C:\temp>STAF348-setup-win32.exe -i GUI

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2012-03-30

Flexera sent me a InstallAnywhere 2011 SP3 with some fixes for installing on Windows 8 and I rebuilt STAF for Windows 32-bit and Windows AMD64 and tested the install and all the installation issues on Windows 8 have been resolved. So, I released beta versions of these new installers for Windows 8. You can download them via the "Download STAF" web page at http://staf.sourceforge.net/getcurrent.php.

The STAF installer files for Windows 8 Cosumar Preview 32-bit (x86) are:
    - STAF349-setup-Windows8_Preview_x86.exe
    - STAF349-setup-Windows8_Preview_x86-NoJVM.exe

The STAF installer files for Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64-bit (x64) are:
    - STAF349-setup-Windows8_Preview_x64.exe
    - STAF349-setup-Windows8_Preview_x64-NoJVM.exe

See the Feature Request for providing support for STAF on Windows 8 at  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3436065&group_id=33142&atid=407384 to get the latest status on where we are with supporting STAF on Windows 8.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks