Menu

Failure to install STAF using Workbench 3.5.7 - "STAF ping failed - please check network connectoin and make sure firewalls are disabled"

Help
2016-10-17
2016-10-19
  • mark zermeno

mark zermeno - 2016-10-17

I recently installed VMWare workbench 3.5.7. Upon connecting my host and trying to install STAF I receive the following error " java.lang.Exception: STAF ping failed - please check network connection and make sure all firewalls are disabled".

I have disabled my firewall on my ESXI host and on my workbench environment but I am still seeing the error. I also tried pinging in and out of my workbench environment and was successful. I've also correctly set my proxy in the Workbench tool. Is any one else seeing this issue?

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2016-10-19

I don't use VMWare workbench. But the help for a STAF return code 16 has some info on more things to check. Also see "3.1.3 Explain RC 16 when attempting to send a STAF request to a remote machine" and "3.1.4 Why can't my STAF machines communicate?" in the STAF FAQ at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFFAQ.htm#d0e940.

C:\>staf local help error 16
    Response
    --------
    Description: No path to endpoint
    Details    : This indicates that STAFProc was not able to submit the request
    to the requested endpoint (i.e. target machine).  This error usually
    indicates one or more of the following:

1. STAFProc is not running on the target machine.
    2. The requested endpoint is not valid.
    3. The network interface or port for the requested endpoint is not supported.
    4. A firewall is blocking communication via the port for the requested
       endpoint.
    5. A secure network interface is being used to communicate to a machine that
       doesn't have a secure network interface configured with the same
       certificate.

Alternatively, you may need to increase your CONNECTTIMEOUT value for the
    network interface and/or increase your CONNECTATTEMPTS value in your
    STAF.cfg file.