STAF in docker container

Help
Phang
2016-04-20
2016-11-02
  • Phang

Phang - 2016-04-20

Can STAF work in docker container?
    I started a STAF instance in docker container, but I can't ping it from docker host and any remote host.
    It only work if I setup a docker swamp and ping it from anothr docker container within the same swamp network.
    Any glue to configure the STAF or docker to allow the STAF reachable from remote host.
    I've mapped all the require port for STAF and we are using version 3.4.22 in Centos 7.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2016-04-20

I haven't tried it. There's nothing specific for docker. TCP/IP communication must work between two STAF endpoints (no firewall blocking communication via the STAF TCP/IP port you are using, e.g. 6500, 6550). The two STAF endpoints must be able to ping each other (a regular ping by IP address or host name, e.g. ping client1.company.com). Are you getting an RC 16 when submitting a STAF service request?

See the following sections in the STAF FAQ at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFFAQ.htm#d0e940:

• 3.1.3. Explain RC 16 when attempting to send a STAF request to a remote machine
    • 3.1.4. Why can't my STAF machines communicate?
    • 3.1.5. Why aren't my entries in /etc/hosts being used for STAF communication (particularly on Linux SLES)?

• Phang

Phang - 2016-04-24

Thanks for the reply, we did opened and mapped all the required ports.
    We will troubleshoot further.

• IshaniB

IshaniB - 2016-10-05

Hello Phang, were you able to solve the STAF communication in docker container?

• Flaviano Flauber

Hello,
    I started to play with Docker too, it would be very useful to have STAF as a container available on Docker hub, so we could download and use it from there.
    Any plans related to this?
    Regards,
    Flaviano Flauber

• LiboZhu

LiboZhu - 2016-11-02

hello, All,
    it works on my side.hope it is helpful with below actions:
    1. use host network instead of docker default
    2. lanuch stafproc in container instead of "host" where lanuch the container.
    3. add previledge permission in the docker run
    4. mapping container tcp port out, maybe it works without this action. not tried yet.