Menu

Error launching STAFProc on MAC OSX.

Rami Dagan
2015-11-02
2015-11-02
  • Rami Dagan

Rami Dagan - 2015-11-02

Hi all. I am new with STAF and used it with windows OS till now. Today I tryed to set it on OSX Mac an I have some troubles :(.

When trying to launch STAF (using batch command ./startSTAFProc.sh), this is the error as shown in Users\administrator\nohup.out file:

Error on Interface definition line:
    interface tcp library STAFTCP option Secure=No option Port=6500
    Error code: 47
    Reason : Error creating interface. STAFConnectionProviderConstruct: Could not determine logical/physical identifier.Error code: 22 Reason: Error getting hostent structure: gethostbyaddr() RC=1
    Error in configuration file: /Library/staf/bin/STAF.cfg

This is my STAF.cfg file (some lines are bold due to # in the begining of the line):
    # Turn on tracing of internal errors and deprecated options
    trace enable tracepoints "error deprecated"

Enable TCP/IP connections

interface ssl library STAFTCP option Secure=Yes option Port=6550

interface tcp library STAFTCP option Secure=No option Port=6500

Set default local trust

trust machine local://local level 5
    trust machine tcp://10.196.41. level 5
    trust machine tcp://10.196.45.
    level 5

Add default service loader

serviceloader library STAFDSLS

Thanks,
    Rami.

• Sharon Lucas

Sharon Lucas - 2015-11-02

See "3.3.18. Explain startup error: Error creating interface. Could not determine logical/physical identifier." in the STAF FAQ at http://staf.sourceforge.net/current/STAFFAQ.htm#d0e1791. It says:

When starting STAFProc, if you get an error like "STAFConnectionProviderConstruct: Could not determine logical/physical identifier. Error code: 22 Reason: Error getting hostent structure: gethostbyaddr() RC=1", TCP/IP or DNS is probably not configured correctly which is why the gethostbyaddr API called by STAFProc is not able to determine the host name for the system. To fix this issue, you should make sure that TCP/IP and DNS are configured properly on this system. On Unix systems (like Mac OS X), one way that you may be able to resolve this issue is by editing the /etc/hosts file and adding a line to specify the host name for this system's IP address. For example, if your system's IP address is 9.99.100.99 and its host name is yourhostname.company.com, you could edit the /etc/hosts file and add the following line:

9.99.100.99             yourhostname.company.com  yourhostname