Menu

Can't compile under macports (OS X)

John Nash
2014-09-19
2014-09-23
  • John Nash

John Nash - 2014-09-19

For 4 years, I've not had many problems compiling the Staden package until Mavericks came around. Occasionally under Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, we would have a bug, and I'd report it here and things would get fixed really fast, and all was good.

I was having huge problems with macports and Mavericks so I was using the compiled version from here, but it's getting long in the tooth, and I was hoping to use a newer version. The macports packages of Tcl and Tk are broken under Mavericks, and won't install, so I installed tcl and tk from source (using the unix section, as recommended). Then I successfully configured, made and installed io_lib, grabbed the latest staden package from svn, and did this:

$ cd ~/staden_install/staden.trunk/src
    $ ./bootstrap
    $ mkdir install.system
    $ cd install.system
    $ ../configure --with-png=/opt/local/ --with-lzma=/opt/local/ --with-tklib=/usr/local/lib/tklib0.5/ --prefix=/usr/local/staden --with-io_lib=/usr/local/staden --with-tcl=/usr/local/lib --with-tk=/usr/local/lib
    $ make

'make' dies with this:

/Users/jnash/staden_install/staden.trunk/src/install.system/../gap5/str_finder.c:91:10: warning:
    implicit declaration of function 'islower' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    if (islower(cons[i])) {
    ^
    /Users/jnash/staden_install/staden.trunk/src/install.system/../gap5/str_finder.c:98:6: error: non-void
    function 'add_rep' should return a value [-Wreturn-type]
    return;
    ^
    /Users/jnash/staden_install/staden.trunk/src/install.system/../gap5/str_finder.c:122:5: error:
    non-void function 'add_rep' should return a value [-Wreturn-type]
    return;
    ^
    1 warning and 2 errors generated.
    make[1]: [str_finder.o] Error 1
    make:
    [gap5] Error 2

Any clues? In a sec, I'll check it on my Centos box to see if it's a Mac thing or not.

Or maybe I can beg for a new DMG release for the Mac?

Thanks heaps,
    John

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2014-09-22

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 06:17:36PM +0000, John Nash wrote:

/Users/jnash/staden_install/staden.trunk/src/install.system/../gap5/str_finder.c:91:10: warning:

It looks like you have C99 enabled. I haven't tested everything under
      the C99 strict mode, but will do so.

I have patched this and a variety of other things in Gap5 and io_lib
      now, so maybe it is enough. I'm not going to go back through gap4 and
      older code fixing that all though, so maybe you will want to build
      with -std=c89.

--
      James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk) | Hora aderat briligi. Nunc et Slythia Tova
      | Plurima gyrabant gymbolitare vabo;
      A Staden Package developer: | Et Borogovorum mimzebant undique formae,
      https://sf.net/projects/staden/ | Momiferique omnes exgrabure Rathi.

--
      The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
      Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
      company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
      office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

• John Nash

John Nash - 2014-09-23

Perfect! Trouble-free build and install of both io_lib and the main package. Thank you again.

Re C99 mode: I was not really paying much attention to my version of C as I was relying on Mavericks and macports to be seamless. I guess I'm more naive than I thought. Fortunately, I have not used gap4 since 2009 or so, having completely switched to gap5, and things appear to be working.

Last edit: John Nash 2014-09-23