new xproto prevents mouse actions (no menus!)

2008-07-23
2013-04-18
  • Nobody/Anonymous

THE PROBLEM:

If Staden 1.7.0 is built on a computer with xproto version 7.0.13, then the mouse is non-functional within Staden graphical windows.  Menus are inaccessible.

THE SOLUTION:

This is a tcl/tk problem (or perhaps an xproto problem).  It applies equally whether the Staden package has its own libtk8.4.so or is linked to a system libtk8.4. A patch (and a detailed discussion) can be found here:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225999

Using the patch from the above link to fix tkBind.c solved the problem completely (tested with Staden 1.7.0 on NetBSD 4.99.59 (i686) with the staden-specific libtk8.4 recommended in the source documentation). It also solved a similar problem with pymol on the same computer (in that case linked to a system libtk).

Here's the patch, simplified for the tkBind.c in $STADENSRC/tk8.4.6/generic/ :

588a589,591
    > #ifdef GenericEvent
    >    /* GenericEvent */          0,
    > #endif

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2008-12-02

Many thanks.

I'd forgotten about this change - I did see it mentioned on a Tcl newsgroup at some stage. The real fix is probably to upgrade to a much more recent Tcl though. (Oddly that causes Gap4 to crash currently, but that's most likely my fault.)

Cheers,

James

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks