Menu

Problem installing Staden Package in macOS High Sierra

2018-10-27
2018-10-30
  • Juan Esteban Zurita

Hi,

I need to edit some sequences but am completely new to the open source programming environment. I am using High Sierra version 10.13.6. I think I don't understand how to install the package correctly. I have followed some old instructions (like this one: https://sourceforge.net/p/staden/discussion/347718/thread/d36794a2/) but I still cannot make it. I attached a screenshot of how the icons of gap4, pregap4, gap5, etc appear in the Applications folder. It is like the computer does not recognize them as software or something like that. Can anyone help me please? I would appreciate it.

Last edit: Juan Esteban Zurita 2018-10-27
  • James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2018-10-30

It's been many years since I created the MacOSX .dmg image, so I can't be sure it even works on modern versions of MacOS. In theory it was meant to launch the program, but it may not work without a version of X11 running already.

I don't have time any more for updating the package other than small components like "io_lib", so this isn't something I can fix myself.

However can you try running the programs by full path from a Terminal window? It may be it still works fine in that situation. Remember this isn't a native MacOS program - you will still need X windows.