staden-2.0.0b4 compilation error on Red Hat 4

2010-01-22
2013-04-18
  • Alexander Garrett

I recently tried to build the staden-2.0.0b4 source and experienced a compiler error that I do not understand.

The machine is Red Hat 4.1.2-46, kernel v. 2.6.18-164.el5, as x86_64 GNU/Linux.
    I used only one configure flag, -enable-64bit, the last lines:

curl:      via /usr/bin/curl-config
    zlib:      DIR (system)
    liblzma:   ***NOT FOUND***
    samtools:  ***NOT FOUND***
    io_lib:    via /n/site/inst/Linux-x86_64/bioinfo/bin/io_lib-config
    Tcl:       via /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh
    Tk:        via /usr/lib/tkConfig.sh
    tklib:     /usr/share/tklib0.4
    Iwidgets:  /usr/share/iwidgets4.0.1
    Itcl:      /usr/lib64/itcl3.3
    Itk:       /usr/lib64/itk3.3

Then running make, the following last lines:

cd tgap && make -f /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap/Makefile   BUILD=/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src SRC=/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap SUBDIR=tgap all
    make: Entering directory `/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/tgap'
    make: Warning: File `../system.mk' has modification time 45 s in the future
    gcc -g -O2  -I/include -I/include -DUSE_NON_CONST  -I/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap -I/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./Misc -I"/usr/include/tcl-private/generic" -I"/usr/include/tcl-private/unix" -I/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tk_utils -I/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./seq_utils -I/n/site/inst/Linux-x86_64/bioinfo/include   -I/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src  -fPIC  -o tg_iface_g.o -c tg_iface_g.c
    In file included from /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap/g-struct.h:24,
                     from g.h:1,
                     from tg_iface_g.c:7:
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap/hache_table.h:8:33: error: io_lib/pooled_alloc.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap/g-struct.h:24,
                     from g.h:1,
                     from tg_iface_g.c:7:
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/./tgap/hache_table.h:42: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'pool_alloc_t'
    tg_iface_g.c: In function 'btree_destroy':
    tg_iface_g.c:1040: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'clientdata'
    tg_iface_g.c:1041: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'clientdata'
    tg_iface_g.c: In function 'io_database_connect':
    tg_iface_g.c:1143: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'name'
    tg_iface_g.c:1149: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'clientdata'
    tg_iface_g.c:1150: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'load'
    tg_iface_g.c:1151: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'del'
    tg_iface_g.c:1158: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'name'
    tg_iface_g.c:1164: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'clientdata'
    tg_iface_g.c:1165: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'load'
    tg_iface_g.c:1166: error: 'HacheTable' has no member named 'del'
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: Leaving directory `/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/tgap'
    make: ***  Error 2

Can you make sense of this?

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2010-01-25

This looks like you're linking against an older version of io_lib. In staden-io_lib-1.12.2 we added a pool_alloc_t type as part of the hash table interface there. The hachetable code in Gap5/Tgap requires this newer version too. Please download the latest io_lib release and install that first.

Thanks for the report. I'll update the Staden configure script to check for the correct version as previously it accepted 1.12.anything.

James

• Alexander Garrett

Thank you James,

I missed that new version requirement on io_lib.  After building and pointing the configure script to io_lib-1.12.2, I am now receiving another compile error with Gap5/Tgap:

make: Leaving directory `/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/tgap'
    cd gap5 && make -f /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/../gap5/Makefile   BUILD=/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03 SRC=/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/../gap5 SUBDIR=gap5 all
    make: Entering directory `/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/gap5'
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH gcc  -g -L/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib  -o tg_index  tg_index.o  -ltgap -lgap5  -lmisc  -lz  -ltk_utils   -lseq_utils  -L/usr/lib64 -ltcl8.4   -lm  -ldl
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib/libtgap.so: undefined reference to `pool_free'
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib/libtgap.so: undefined reference to `pool_create'
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib/libtgap.so: undefined reference to `pool_alloc'
    /home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/lib/libtgap.so: undefined reference to `pool_destroy'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: ***  Error 1
    make: Leaving directory `/home/asg/staden/b4/staden-2.0.0b4-src/genekc03/gap5'
    make: ***  Error 2

Do you know which library is deficient here?

• James Bonfield

James Bonfield - 2010-01-27

These should be in the io_lib-1.12.2 library:  Ie http://staden.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/staden/io_lib/trunk/io_lib/pooled_alloc.c?revision=1813&view=markup

Clearly you're include path is now picking up the newer io_lib, but as you have linking errors I suspect a library search path problem, perhaps linking against an older installed io_lib (either explicitly or by picking it up on LD_LIBRARY_PATH). I don't see an explicit -L for io_lib in the above link line. Note it you have a requirement to keep an old io_lib installed for some reason then consider building the new one statically and doing an install in a temporary directory purely for the purposes of building the staden package against it. (I can't think of a good reason why you'd explicitly need an older version installed too though.)

I've been experimenting with using -rpath-link in my local configure script so hopefully the next release should be more resilient to differences in environment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks