Windows 7 64bit

• Thomas Leverwitz

I've installed Aspell and the english dictionary on a Win 7 64 bit machine.  I also copied the SquigglySpellCheck.dll to the plugins directory.

When I start Notepad++, I get the error "The program can't start because aspell-15.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I've confirmed that the dll is located in the 32bit program files dir

C:\Program Files (x86)\Aspell\bin\aspell-15.dll

Any ideas?

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2011-03-03

Sorry for the totally slow reply, I try very much to be faster than this…

C:\Program Files (x86)\Aspell\bin\aspell-15.dll

needs to be in your %PATH% variable, that's what this error means. You can see if it is by running cmd.exe (start->all programs ->Accessories->Command Prompt)
    then typing; echo %PATH% and hitting enter.

The solution is to add it to the system path manually: - Right click on "computer" in the windows menu; choose properties - Click on "Change Settings" at the bottom right of the pop up window - Click on the new dialog's "advanced" tab - At the bottom, there is an "Environment Variables…" button, click it. - In the second section (System Variables) scroll down until you see "Path"; select it. - Click the "Edit…" button - On the end of the text line add: ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Aspell\bin - Two things to note here; 1) the path above is for the 32 bit install on a 64 bit OS, it could be something different on your box…. look first. and 2) you must not delete the other items in the list! - Click the OK button - Restart notepad++, spell check should work fine.

• Lasse Nørfeldt

Lasse Nørfeldt - 2012-01-18

I tried what you said and have a Runtime termination message..
    I'm also win7 64 bit

• Karim Sharif

Karim Sharif - 2012-01-19

I'm no longer supporting the current version of Squiggly. A new version will be available soon for testing:
    - Will include multi-threaded check support
    - Built in spell check engine (based on hunspell, not aspell)
    - and much, much more.

Please be patient, the new version will be a "drop-in" plug-in with no additional dependencies.

• Lasse Nørfeldt

Lasse Nørfeldt - 2012-01-19

Sounds great! Will be looking forward to it.