SportsTracker 5.4.0 on Mac OS X (with Java 7)

jede28
2012-03-24
2013-05-01
  • jede28

jede28 - 2012-03-24

Hello Mac users,

SportsTracker 5.4.0 is based on Java 7, but currently there is no official Java 7 for Mac OS X available yet (it's in work). I want to provide some instructions how to get SportsTracker running on OS X anyway:

First of all: The OS X port of Java 7 does not include Java WebStart yet, so the simple "click on the website and it runs" approach does not work.

(1)  Java 7 installation

As a prerequisite Java 6 for OS X needs to be installed, but this is done automatically on the most systems (included on 10.6 or installed when launching a Java application on 10.7).

Java 7 installation for OS X 10.7:

Download and install the official developer preview of Java 7 available here:
    http://jdk7.java.net/macportpreview/

Java 7 installation for OS X 10.6:

Download and install the latest version of OpenJDK 7 for OS X available for Snow Leopard from this build site:
    http://code.google.com/p/openjdk-osx-build/

I've tested SportsTracker 5.4.0 successfully with the build OpenJDK-OSX-1.7-x64-udev-jdk-u4-b13-20120308-snowleopard.dmg

(2) SportsTracker installation

You need to download instead the SportsTracker binary version from the SourceForge project website (currently SportsTracker-5.4.0-bin.zip).
    Unzip it in some folder where you want to install the application.

(3) Start SportsTracker

Open a Terminal window and go to the directory you have unzipped the SportsTracker binary package. There you need to run the following command:

java -jar sportstracker-5.4.0.jar

I know, this is not a very comfortable way, but at least it works :-)  And Java WebStart for OS X will be available hopefully soon!

Bye, Stefan

• gregorio cocco

gregorio cocco - 2012-04-13

I have dowload the zip file and i have extract on directory, but i cant start stportstracker 5.4 on win7 SO. I obtain this error: Could not find the main class: de.saring,sportstracker.gui.STMain.
    Thanks for support
    Greg

• jede28

jede28 - 2012-04-14

Hello Greg,

do you have a Windows Topic in this Mac OS X thread? Or is it somehow related?
    I need detailed informations for beeing able to help you:
    - Which OS?
    - Which Java Version?
    - Why don't you use WebStart?
    - Which version/file of SportsTracker have you downloaded?

Have you read the instructions in the README.txt? Maybe you can find your answer there…

Bye, Stefan

• gregorio cocco

gregorio cocco - 2012-04-20

Thanks Stefan
    I apologize for writing about win in a mac thread.
    I had a problem with the start on Win7 OS, but I resolved with the upgrade tha java version from 6 to 7.
    however, thanks for the support

• jede28

jede28 - 2012-04-20

Yes, Java 7 is needed. Nice to hear that it works…

• jede28

jede28 - 2012-07-05

Small update:

JDK 7 for Mac OS X has been finally released, the first offical supported version is JDK 7u4. You can download here:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

SportsTracker was successfully tested with this version. Only the WebStart installation is not possible yet, but this will come with JDK 7u6, which will be available soon.

• jede28

jede28 - 2012-07-24

With SportsTracker 5.5.0 the installation is now even more simple. Just download the OS X application bundle archive here and move the SportsTracker.app to your applications. The required JRE is included, so it has not to be installed before.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks