Features to be Removed?

nabber00
2010-11-18
2013-06-03
  • nabber00

nabber00 - 2010-11-18

I'd like to get rid of the following to help simplify the code and make it easier to maintain.

These features might be removed in the next release in order to reduce the code base, making maintenance easier as well as freeing up development time to work on more important features. If you need these, please add a comment here.

- Comment popup mode

Is anyone using javascript popups for anything anymore?  This seems a little dated.

- Use a category for the main page (replaced by Static Page option)

When the category listing for the main page was created, it wasn't thoroughly tested.  There are a couple of open bugs related to this, when using this option, the page numbers at the bottom are not correct (ID: 3094518) and the calendar links are not always working (ID: 3094438).  It could be a lot of work to get these working correctly.

- Trackbacks

These are difficult to debug because you need two blogs to ping each other.  They also require the external cURL library.  Trackbacks also have the tendency to introduce security vulnerabilities due to the interaction with external blogs.

- GZIP Compression for Database Files

I don't think people are exactly strapped for disk space these days. GZIP compression probably isn't needed unless you have a huge number of entries.  Having to read from two different types of files has added a lot of ugly code.  This is especially true to handle the case where it is toggled, files much be converted, and we must make sure that the old copy is deleted to prevent duplicates.

• Anonymous - 2010-11-18

i use none of those.

• Anonymous - 2010-11-23

Seconding. I don't like pop-up comments, have never used trackbacks, and don't use GZIP.

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2010-12-01

- Print Article Links

Also, removing the "print article" links.  Different formatting for printing is handled via a special CSS file instead.

• waebi

waebi - 2010-12-05

OK for all except category I use this in http://www.windsurfasia.com/blog/ to choose between the 2 languages.

• waebi

waebi - 2011-03-07

Nobody did understand the language switching with "category".
    So I've created 2 blogs.
    But please keep categories. I use them to give the blog a structure.
    If there is no category, one can make the block disappear.

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2011-03-07

To be clear I certainly plan on keeping categories around.  The question is, do people still need that to determine what shows up on the main page?  A static page can be used instead if you want the main page to show some kind of welcome page.  This is a setting in the preferences.

• matt batey

matt batey - 2011-06-10

any updates on the category page number issue?

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2011-06-14

That is bug #3094518 and is being tracked via the tracker.

• matt batey

matt batey - 2011-06-20

think ive fixed the category page issue, i'll make a new thread to show how

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2011-11-19

I have decided to keep "use a category for the main page" as an option as we have fixed the major page numbering bug, the remaining bug is minor.

Here are the finalists for removal.  This is your LAST CHANCE to speak up if you would like to save one or all of them:

1. Comment popup mode
    2. Trackbacks
    3. GZIP Compression for Database Files
    4. Print Article Links

• nabber00

nabber00 - 2011-11-28

Items 1-4 have been removed in subversion.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks