2008-08-20
2013-01-13
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2008-08-20

Hallo Simon,

zunaechst einmal vielen Dank fuer Deine Muehen,
    in Sachen Spracherkennung unter Linux etwas zu
    starten.

Dein Ziel war es (so wie ich es verstanden habe)
    einem Kind aufgrund von Handicaps den Umgang mit
    einem PC zu erleichtern, indem es per Sprache dem
    PC Befehle erteilt.
    Ich wuerde die Zielgruppe allerdings erweitern auf
    z. B. Studenten und Kleinunternehmer, welche sich
    keine Tippse leisten koennen. (Diktatfunktion)

Da ich im Moment viel Zeit habe, aber wenig Ahnung
    von Programmierei, dennoch aber voller guter Ideen
    bin und Linux (im Allgemeinen) ganz weit nach vorne
    bringen will kam mir die Idee, eine LiveCD zu erstellen.

Und da geht der Aerger schon los...

Beim HTK Toolkit, das man sich nur via eMail Adresse
    Preisgebung runterladen (wo ohnehin schon MS die Rechte
    daran hatte... wenngleich MS die Rechte an die Cambridge
    Universitaet wieder zurueckgetreten hat, wenn auch nur
    bedingt) kann und den Lizenzbedingungen zustimmen muss...

Eines vorweg:
    Ich habe bislang weder unter Windows noch unter Linux
    Simon installiert.

Mein Ziel ist es, eine LiveCD zu erstellen, mit der man
    Simon leicht testen kann, ohne am System etwas zu
    veraendern. (Mit vorgegebenen Parametern und so:
    Computer, Logbuch! startet OpenOffice Writer z. B.)

Sollte man mit dem System zufrieden sein (ich weiss um
    die Probleme der Phonetik), kann man dann auch das BS
    mitsamt Simon installieren.

Waere da nicht diese Lizenz der Cambridge University, welche
    jedwede Redistribution verbietet, aehnlich auch bei Hadifix.

So oder so aber wuerde ich gerne Ihr Projekt nach vorne bringen.

Muss ich mir eine LmaA-LGNU-License-Idee ;) einfallen lassen oder
    gibt es auch eine rechtlich glasklare Moeglichkeit?

Ich danke Ihnen fuer die Aufmerksamkeit und wuensche einen
    schoenen Tag

Joe Car

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2008-08-26

OK, here we go.
      Hello Simon.
      I wrote a mail to the Cambridge University asking about the license and until yet I got no answer.
      I really would like to create/build a Live CD Distribution containing specially Simon.
      As Simon needs the HTK Toolkit it is of course necessary to download and to install it.

Now, I´m running OpenSuSE 11 and tried to install first the HTK Toolkit.
      It failed.

As OpenSuSE seems to be very popular I thought further on.
      (Since the change from SuSE 7.3 to 8.0 I had problems to do any installations and still have!)

Now my thinking was, how would I react if I (as a Linux Newbie) would try out Linux with the aim
      to try out Simon!?

I guess you were a bit confused about my LmaA comment.
      Sorry for that.

It´s just that I´m angry about that license as Microsoft seems to have bought the rights and
      given them back to the Cambridge University at least under the condition that one may download and install
      it but without any other form of distribution.
      (Just look at Point 2.2)

Now I´m standing at the crossroads.
      I respect your work on Simon definitely.
      I respect your aims (or does one say goals in english) to help handicaped persons.

That is why I´m so angry about that license.

Linux should be "free".

Free is more than cheap or "costless".

At least my aim is to build a Live CD containing "Simon" with the possibility (if one is satisfied)
      to install a working OS including "Simon" in the easiest possible way to harddisk.
      That´s all.

There are still lots of people who of course would try out Linux, specially Linux in combination
      with speech recognition (as I told you students and stuff...)...

But if the installation is far as easy as under Windows...

That´s all I wanted.

My last hope is that somebody else may start a Live CD containing Simon and stuff.

Have a nice day :)

Joe Car

• Peter Grasch

Peter Grasch - 2008-08-26

Hello!

I am sorry for not replying earlier I haven't checked these forums nearly enough lately...

First of all: Thanks for all the efforts. Could you please mail me a copy of the mail you send to the Cambridge University? (grasch ^ate? simon-listens /dot/ org)

Second of all: I am afraid you are overestimating the current state of development... We are still in an early stage and most likely _years_ away from serious dictation.

Moreover the main goal of simon is to provide simple means of generating an individual language / acoustic model for every user instead of using a general, speaker independant model which could be shipped with a livecd. So a livecd-simon installation would still have to be setup, trained, etc. - a very time consuming process.

That said, you could still setup simon for other stuff than our defined goal of providing an alternative input system for handicapped people - like controlling the media-center pc or other command & control applications. Still, defining a clear goal helps to focus the development and makes it easy to define the needed feature-set.

This doesn't mean, howver, that simon won't be useful for other uses also (quite the contrary - the administrationmode was specifically designed for advanced users - it was just hidden per default to show our focus on novice users).

We know about the licence restrictions and consider it a serious problem. However, without an unexpected resource-explosion (the HTK development took a team much larger than the simon team about 10 years!) we simply don't have the manpower to replicate the system under a more "open" licence.

The only viable alternative to the HTK / Julius combination seems to be Sphinx - which we haven't tried until now. But this is on my (very, very long) todo-list - just not near the top. Sorry...

Have an even nicer day :)

-- bedahr

ps.: I am currently running OpenSUSE (11) myself and the HTK installation went without problems. If you still want to try simon, feel free to open a new thread in the Help/ subforum and I will see if I can help you...