Menu

Another dead project?

Jister
2008-03-27
2013-04-16
  • Jister

Jister - 2008-03-27

Wow! Another Bluefrog wannabe dead in the water.  How many projects are going to be created claiming to fight spam and then do nothing? I guess no one will ever be able to do what the frog did.

• secondwheel

secondwheel - 2008-04-01

I figure eventually one of these projects will get enough code together to get a rolling start.

It's a tricky business, because BlueSecurity's demise wasn't a pretty thing, and no one really wants to paint a target on themselves like that.  On the other hand, the fact that these projects pop up at all are a sign that people want to do something about it... it's just not an easy nut to crack.

I wouldn't write off the project as "dead", anyway.  These things feed on free time, and lacking that, they can be on hold indefinitely without "dying".  These developers may well dedicate a week of vacation time to intensive hacking and set it on its feet... 2 year from now.  Who knows.

I wrote a Thunderbird plugin to support knujon.com's approach to fighting spam (about the closest I've found to the BlueFrog approach, but without the distributed form-filling thing, more of a focus on automating contacting hosts and law enforcement...):
        http://secondwheel.googlepages.com
      ...and most of the time, I have no time for it.  Every 8 months or so, it benefits from an intense burst of hacking when my normal professional life gets slow.

Anyone else got little projects they're working on?