Tray icon for unmount removable media usb key with a click

Anonymous
2016-06-17
2016-09-08
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-06-17

Hello, Mr IgnorantGuru.
    (please, excuse me for my bad english).

I am using SpaceFM 0.9.3 with IceWM and LightDM on Debian GNU/Linux 7.11 (Wheezy), with udisks_1.0.4-7wheezy1 and whitout udevil. The file manager is set as volume monitor and desktop manager.
    This software is running on a PC desktop with 512 MB RAM and 13 GB HD.
    I am happy with this amazing file manager...! I am still learning how to configure it "more comfortable".

Because this system is shared among several people, many of whom had never used a different operating system to MS Windows, I have a question:

Could somehow make it that spacefm act as "unmount manager" for mounted usb key with a mouse click from tray icon?
    The idea is to have a similar behavior in MS Windows. Let me clarify, I know how to make the manager appears in the system tray from icewm.

Thank you very much by this great application.
    fdm

• IgnorantGuru

IgnorantGuru - 2016-06-19

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't done much with system trays in Linux, but in general you can tell SpaceFM to unmount a device like this:

spacefm -s run-task unmount /dev/sr0

That will cause it to attempt to unmount /dev/sr0 using the appropriate device handler, just as if you attempted to unmount it from within SpaceFM.

Or, if you're using udisks, you can simply run the udisks command line tool to unmount.

You would probably add an icon to the system tray when the device is added, then run the above command when the icon is clicked.

To add an icon when the device is inserted, see Devices|Settings|Auto-Run|On Insert. That is where you would run your system tray management tool (some people use a program called 'traydevice' for this). Then you would need to set it to run the unmount command when the icon is clicked. So aside from the unmount command used, this is mostly going to be done using a system tray management tool.

Maybe someone else can offer a more specific solution.

• IgnorantGuru

IgnorantGuru - 2016-06-19

Also, I do recommend upgrading to 1.0.5 or alpha as there have been some nice improvements since 0.9.3. You can use the net installer, which on Debian just involves installing listed build dependencies. If for any reason you need to revert, you can always reinstall your 0.9.3 package. But 1.0.5 works fine on Wheezy. There is also a PPA for the next branch (which is like 1.0.5 plus bugfixes).

You can see what has changed since 0.9.3 in News. For even newer features you can use the installer to install alpha.

Last edit: IgnorantGuru 2016-06-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-09-08

A good way for solve it this topic (to unmount it of usb device with a click on icon in systray), is here:
    http://antix.freeforums.org/post48121.html#p48121

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel