SourceAFIS tutorial for non-programmer background

2014-02-14
2014-02-16
  • Ivan Widjajamukti

Hi Robert,

I am an electronic engineering student from Hong Kong who is interested in Biometrics, especially Fingerprint Recognition. I stumbled upon your blogs, read about SourceAFIS and get really interested in SourceAFIS. I have installed SourceAFIS, read the tutorial, and tried to run the software. Unfortunately, I am not really familiar with programming and using Visual Studio in general. Could you please give me some pointers on how to run the software if it's not a hassle for you?

Thank you very much for your help and on making this awesome open source software.

Cheers,
    Ivan

• Robert Važan

Robert Važan - 2014-02-15

SourceAFIS is primarily a software library designed for software developers. It's not a standalone application. If you would like to get a feel for it, run the installer that's on the download page and start Fingerprint Analysis app from Start menu.

• Ivan Widjajamukti

Thanks a lot for your reply :). I will try to look at it and try to understand the library. Btw, is it possible to obtain the extracted template of the fingerprint after enrollment? I am really interested in the extracted template in SourceAFIS due to its small size. One of my school project is to incorporate fingerprint into QR code, thus small size will be highly preferable. Thank you very much for your help.

• Robert Važan

Robert Važan - 2014-02-16

Template can be accessed after extraction. SourceAFIS has its own compact binary format, but its size has no hard bounds. You might wish to access the minutiae directly either in the XML format or in in-memory TemplateBuilder and encode them using your own format.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks