Humble beginnings

peraperic
2013-05-22
2013-05-23
  • peraperic

peraperic - 2013-05-22

Hi Robert,

I see that there was tremendous effort put into developing of an application of this magnitude. I just wanted to ask you, how do you start with development of a AFIS.

I am interested in trying to develop something of my own because I want do deepen my knowledge of Biometrics and develop better programming skills. So I just wanted to ask you fo an advice on how and where to start.. I was reading about fingerprint identification, and I think I know what is my firs task: Image enhancement, with Segmentation, Normalization, Orientation and frequency, Binarization and Thinning.

Is this the right way to think, and the way to go?

Any advice and/or push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and kind Regards
    Pera Peric

• Robert Važan

Robert Važan - 2013-05-23

Hi Pera Peric,

I wrote an article about the way SourceAFIS was developed:

http://www.sourceafis.org/blog/how-to-build-awesome-opensource-projects/

Since biometrics is an area with tons of existing research and products, both commercial and opensource, your first step before writing a single line of code is to learn from others. Read about standard algorithms on the web and in books, go through presentations for existing implementations (both NIST and FR-SDK have such presentations), read source code and identify standard algorithms in it. Then build your prototype (no optimizations, no API, no tuning) and benchmark it against sample database. Log output at each stage and check it visually. You don't want to do more than a simple prototype given your stated goal of learning about biometrics.

Kind Regards,
    Robert

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks