Menu

web services and databases

2019-08-16
2019-08-16
  • denny figuerres

denny figuerres - 2019-08-16

Hello, i am in the process of studying the code and determining if i can use it in an application i am developing.

a challenge i forsee based on my inital search has to do with running this as a web service.

in short loading a large database into memory on each call would be a performance killer when the data size grows.
    also as the data volume grows the ram needed to cash the data could become an issue in a cloud environment.

i am going to take a look at how the system does the matching and see if i can find any way to use a sql db or a no sql db to balance how it works.

granted i may not find a better way.... but i will take a look.

i saw metnion of prefiltering - that can help in some ways but still tends to not scale very well and does not help with a general use ,
    say you have 100 places users may be asked to authenticate at.
    say you have 300,000 users with just one finger to match.

a normal web service would need to load that data on any given call, multiple calls would (by default) load the same data into more ram....

ok a cash could allow n callers to share a common data pool and that helps some what but then adds problems with re-loading the data when the backing store has chnages.

well i am going to start learning the code and see what i find.

• Robert Važan

Robert Važan - 2019-08-16

Definitely cache all templates in RAM. SourceAFIS was designed to work this way. AFAIK, most if not all fingerprint matchers need some form of in-memory storage. 300K templates can still fit in a mid-sized cloud instance.

As for keeping the cache up to date, write-through caching is the easiest to implement, but it doesn't let you run multiple servers concurrently. Write-back caching is more complicated and requires some change notification mechanism, but it will work in a distributed system.

• denny figuerres

denny figuerres - 2019-08-16

understood, i have to do a lot of study before i draw any conclusions, just wanted to start a talk and see what anyone else has found or tried.

i agree that we have to do some kind of memory use.

i need to see the actual matching code before i can say anything of real meaning.
    got the files but it will take time to learn what is going on.

thanks for any input.