Latency estimation of pitch shifting

Help
Matt
2016-05-09
2016-10-15
  • Matt

Matt - 2016-05-09

Hi,
    I use the pitch shifting with variable pitch shift values in parallele to other processing modules. I am trying to estimate the latency of the pitch shifting to compensation the delay between processing modules. It should be done at different pitch shift value as the latency is dependant on the pitch shift value.
    I thought I could use getSetting(SETTING_NOMINAL_INPUT_SEQUENCE) or getSetting(SETTING_NOMINAL_OUTPUT_SEQUENCE), but the value reported by thoses functions is very different from the actual latency, which I verified by comparing the input and output of the pitch shifting fonction at sample level.
    Any help about how to estimate the latency of the pitch shifting algorithm in real-time?

• oparviai

oparviai - 2016-10-15

Hello,

Apologies for a delayed reply, but I'll post this follow up nonetheless in case this would become useful for other developers.

If you process several parallel tracks with different pitch settings and want to synchronize these processed tracks together, then consider the processed outputs as synchronized, even if processing of different tracks will occur with different sample input/output size stepping.

I also added a new getSetting(SETTING_INITIAL_LATENCY) api call for getting the approximate initial processing latency. This is now committed into Subversion, see:

https://sourceforge.net/p/soundtouch/code/242/