Menu

GetBPM(() in SoundTouchDLL.

fred vs
2017-11-09
2017-12-03
  • fred vs

fred vs - 2017-11-09

Hello.

Could it be possible to add/export GetBPM(() method in library SoundTouchDLL ?

Thanks.

Fre;D

• oparviai

oparviai - 2017-11-10

Added.

• fred vs

fred vs - 2017-11-11

PERFECT. ;-)

Many thanks.

Fre;D

• fred vs

fred vs - 2017-11-23

Hello Olli.

OK, compiled SoundTouchDLL.so with exported methods:
    bpm_createInstance, bpm_destroyInstance, bpm_getBpm, bpm_putSamples, bpm_putSamples_i16.

I did: theinstance = bpm_createInstance(2, 44100) and used the same parameters for bpm_putSamples() that used (sucessfully) for soundtouch_putSamples() (to do a stretching).

But I get always bpm_getBpm() = 0.

Is a minimum of samples needed ? I did try with 65536 * channels but still ---> bpm_getBpm(theinstance) = 0.

Or maybe I am missing something ?

Thanks.

Fre;D

• fred vs

fred vs - 2017-11-25

Re-hello Olli.

Ok, I get it.

On all the songs that I tested, with a buffer of minimum 1 mega (1048576) x channels of samples I get excellent result.

Many thanks.

Fre;D

PS: The Pascal header of SoundTouchDLL library for Unix and Windows OS was updated with last bpm methods.
    https://github.com/fredvs/uos/blob/master/src/uos_soundtouch.pas

Last edit: fred vs 2017-11-27
  • oparviai

oparviai - 2017-11-26

Hello Fred,

yes, sufficient amount of data is the key. 65536 samples correspond to bit less than 1½ seconds of musi and it's difficult to estimate beat for such short a song clip. 1M samples means already about 24 seconds of music, making it easier for beat detection.

please notice that you don't need to feed all data in a single large buffer, you can also call the bpm->putSamples several times in sequence with time feeding a smaller block of samples to the bpm algorithm.

I'll grab your pascal edits.

Last edit: oparviai 2017-11-26
  • fred vs

fred vs - 2017-11-27

Hello Olli.

Your SoundTouch library is one of my favorite.

Lot of years ago I was super-impressed by the Bass audio library because of his BassFX plugin.
    That BassFX could make stretching (= changing the tempo of a song, keeping the original tuning).

The dream of every musician (in my vinyl time, you may change the tempo but the tuning changed too --> must detune the guitar --> the hell ).

Later I noted that all the code that BassFX used for stretching was your SoundTouch code.

I am really happy that you still maintain that brillant project.

I am fan of SoundTouchDLL stretching features and use it in many open-source projects, included:
    https://github.com/fredvs/uos
    https://github.com/fredvs/strumpract/releases

This days I did play with last SoundTouchDLL and bpm_getBpm() on Linux 64 bit.

Playing a virtual drums-set together with a mp3 song, with same bpm detected by bpm_getBpm() is impressive.

Now the challenge is to synchronize the pick of beat detected by SoundTouch with the timer of the drums-set.

I am exploring some ways.

Here one of them:

Before to play the song, bpm_getBpm() find his BPM (let say 100 BPM).

100 BPM = 100 Beats each 60000 mseconds.
    1 BPM = 60000/100 = 600 mseconds.

In the drums-set, each beat has 4 ticks --> 1 tick = 600/4 = 150 ms
    So 150 ms will be the interval of the timer that will run 4 times in one beat.

Now time to play the song and synchronize the drums-set when a pick-beat is found.
    For this I need to know how to recognize a pick-beat when a buffer is given to the sound device.

Maybe SoundTouch could help for this.

How do you do to recognize a pick-beat?

When a song is playing, each loop of decoding gives a buffer of to the sound card.

What minimum size should have that buffer to contain a pick?

With a resolution of 44100 samples/seconds, with 100 BPM, each beat needs 600 mseconds, so 26460 samples.

(If I am wrong, please correct me)

It is big to have a good latency.

Maybe all the size of beat is not needeed to find a pick.

How litle the buffer how better would be the result.

The dream would be a kind of bpm_hasBeatPick() with result = position of first pick in the buffer (-1 if none).

It would be used like this:
    bpm_putSamples() + bpm_hasBeatPick().

But of course, all idea are welcome.

Thanks.

Fre;D

• fred vs

fred vs - 2017-12-03

Hello Olli.

please notice that you don't need to feed all data in a single large buffer, you can also call the bpm->putSamples several times in sequence with time feeding a smaller block of samples to the bpm algorithm.

OK but there is something I am not sure.
    Does bpm_getBpm() freed the previous data added by bpm-putSamples ?

This because I do not see a bpm_clear.

Or must the instance be deleted by bpm_destroyInstance' before to do a new BPM search (and so recreate a new bpm_createInstance())?

I hope you did understand something...

Fre;D

Last edit: fred vs 2017-12-03