Menu

Question/suggestion

Openglad-e
2004-08-27
2004-08-31
  • Daniel Paul Hightower

Why does the presence of an extremely large number or druid-created trees slow down the game?  Seriously, I would like to know.

Can you guys add a faster way to cycle between attacks?  That way I could use my theif to lay down a very large number of bombs and then instanteously switch to taunt opponent to lure my opponents into my trap before the bombs went off.

Keep up the good work. :-)

• Sean Ford

Sean Ford - 2004-08-31

My guess is that the method that Openglad and Gladiator uses to draw stuff is causing the slow down. Essentially, they draw stuff pixel by pixel. Slow and ugly :) Openglad-e draws stuff as a whole SDL_Surface when possible which should speed things up if you have a huge amount of druid trees.

I am sure we could have keyboard shortcuts for specials.

• Daniel Paul Hightower

>Essentially, they draw stuff pixel by pixel. Slow and ugly :)

Eek.  I had a TI-85 calculator where I programmed Blackjack on it.  Some of the graphics (especially turning points off) I had to do pixel by pixel, incredibly slow so now it makes sense.

• Sean Ford

Sean Ford - 2004-08-31

My TI-85 was one of my favorite calculators. It was fast compared to my friend's 83s and 86s, made for a good programming platform.

I actually 'cache' the non-color cycling tiles in Openglad into SDL_Surfaces so that speed things up a bit. In Openglad-e, the only things that are drawn pixel by pixel are the different affects: invisibility, phantom, outline, and the team colors. I will probably try caching the outline and team color on the characters since that doesn't really change once the game starts.

It is tough trying to figure out how much affect these have since the framerate is locked at 12fps or so. We are in the process of unlocking the framerate in Openglad-e so we can then get some real optimization done.

• Daniel Paul Hightower

Last year, I bought a TI-83+.  This summer I found my old TI-85.

There are some things that the TI-83+ is better at (probably because it is a more modern O/S) but the programming environment is at least 10 times better than the TI-83+.  Infinite number of variables, infinite number of programs (that way you can use programs as subroutines so you don't have to use the GOTO command at all), and those good Greek letters to supplement the English language. :-)