serious gameplay issues

Openglad-e
fuzinavl
2004-05-25
2004-05-27
  • fuzinavl

fuzinavl - 2004-05-25

1990's DOSglad veteran's rant #1:
    I do like the concept Forgotten Sages Games had originally intended.My friends and I would STILL be playing this game after all these years; if these design issues were solved:

Show us more playing field.  Games should not force us to play through mapview. Situation is especially bad in splitscreen. In 640x400 or higher, use classic sprites.  Pan player view towards where she runs.

Balance player classes.  Using different strategies, any class should be an even match for any other class; assuming they have the same XP and gold amount allocated.  Don't force me to be a cleric, just because he can raise 3 undead / second.

Show us what we get for our money.  On many occasions, I've pumped $7,000 or more into a stat, with no noticeable effect.  In the "train team" window, show:
    1. Weapon Range (str)
    2. Weapon Damage (str)
    3. Rate of Fire (dex)
    4. Run Speed (dex)
    5. HP (con)
    6. HP regen / tick (con)
    7. Mana (int)
    8. Mana regen / tick (int)
    9. Armor, effects of
    When cash allocation is previewed, overlay number changes in red text.

Ghost scare... bad thing.   Petrify me, Steal my life points, Steal my XP, kill me outright, but don't make me go run into the corner of the screen for minutes at a time.
    Faerie freeze:  Give me a MANDATORY one free action every 4 seconds.

• Daniel Paul Hightower

1st, Through the magic of creating scenarios with lots of money, I can tell you that tracing any stat in the pick to exactly one factor is impossible.  Literally.  Everything effects everything.  Strength, believe it or not, effects armor level.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gladiator/ <- I've started the annual review of characters in the game over there and I started putting together files on how to improve each character.

Even if you took away all the abilities of the cleric but heal and mystic mace, everybody would still want a cleric just because cleric can keep your team healed up.

One of my ideas is 'handicapped scenarios'.  These scenarios would handicap characters in various ways:

1)characters can only use their basic attacks until a tower is destroyed
      2)characters can only have x amount of mana until a tower is destroyed
      3)otherwise weaken characters

Working handicapped scenarios into the game would tilt the balance of the game.

• fuzinavl

fuzinavl - 2004-05-27

Do you mean it will be impossible to preview the effects of cash spending in any future openglad versions?

The cleric was just an example.  All I was saying is that the classes need to be balanced.