host responding on different IP address fails

Anonymous
2013-02-07
2013-05-28
  • Anonymous - 2013-02-07

We have an Avaya VoIP system.  There are two control servers, each with their own IP.  There is one IP that either one can have depending on which the active control server.  The gist is you use the cluster IP address to hit the system and you will get the active one. 

What I've found is that when the active server responds, it responds from whatever IP address it is assigned, not the cluster IP address.   This seems to be causing the SimpleSnmp.Get to fail.  It is throwing SnmpException: Request has reached maximum retries.

Server A - 10.5.0.1  (Backup)
    Server B - 10.5.0.2  (active)
    Cluster -   10.5.0.10  (goes to server B)
    A SimpleSnmp.Get for 10.5.0.1 or 10.5.0.2 works great.  However for 10.5.0.10 fails as the response packet comes from 10.5.0.2. 

snmpget on a Linux box, and other stacks seem to work okay with this situation.

Is this something with the SimpleSnmp being too simple in it's view of the world, or something else deeper in the stack?

Thanks!

• milans

milans - 2013-02-08

Setting AgentParameters.DisableReplySourceCheck to True will fix your problem. It will only work with SNMP v1 and v2c. SNMPv3 requires that reply arrives from the requested address and cannot be disabled for this version.

-MilanS

• Anonymous - 2013-02-13

Thanks…that would fix it.  It doesn't look like there is a way to apply this to the SimpleSnmp  that I can see.    Guess it's time to stop living the simple life and get my hands dirty.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks