SnapRAID.Q.parity is smaller than the expected

Help
therealjmc
2013-10-21
2013-10-25
  • therealjmc

therealjmc - 2013-10-21

Hi,

I think I stumbled upon a Bug - or at least a strange behaviour. I ran sync today and the Q.Parity Drive wasn't attached. Snapraid said it has to add some files and then said "Error opening parity file 'V:/SnapRAID.Q.parity'. No such file or directory [3].
    WARNING! Without an accessible Q-Parity file, it isn't possible to sync." OK, that's reasonable. Attached the drive and wanted to sync again - and snapraid then says "SnapRAID.Q.parity is smaller than the expected" - running a diff says that no files are changed... But now the snapraid is degraded - from what I understand at least. I'm running a check right now to see if there are any errors reported, otherwise I will delete the q-file and run a sync again. Seems like the only way to fix this?!

(Running 4.2)

Last edit: therealjmc 2013-10-21
  • Andrea Mazzoleni

Hi therealjmc,

Yes. You went to a strange condition. The check that SnapRAID is doing is too strict. I had to relax it to allow to recover.

To fix that you can use the beta 4.4 available at http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/beta/ and just rerun the sync command.

Ciao,
    Andrea

• therealjmc

therealjmc - 2013-10-22

Hi Andrea,

I'm currently running 5.0 Beta (since my 600GB Truecrypt container changes almost daily I wanted to test the updated blocks only impact) - using the 5.0 build from yesterday will include this "fix" in 5.0, too? History doesn't say anything about it.

Bye
    Peter

• Andrea Mazzoleni

The one present now also contains the same fix.

Ciao,
    Andrea