Menu

SMR drives in 24/7 operation using SnapRAID

Help
2021-12-06
2021-12-07
  • Dominic Ryan

Dominic Ryan - 2021-12-06

Hi All,

I'm out of space and out of money. I have a 8 x 4TB NAS using SnapRAID which is almost entirely used for static local storage/backup as well as backing up to cloud.

The Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 is an SMR drive and is 2/3 the price of the equivalent CMR drive. This adds up to a significant amount of cash over 8 drives and wondering if CMR is even that valuable given the workload of my SnapRAID NAS.

Guess my real question is, how have these drives gone for 24/7 operation? My NAS is UPS protected as well as the drives well cooled with 120mm fans.

• David

David - 2021-12-06

Those drives aren't too bad, not great though, for large files, but they seriously suck for bluray structures due to the small file sizes.

I've moved to only buying hitachi & WD refurbished enterprise drives. They have always been rock solid, lightning fast, and relatively cheap. I just purchased a 10TB for $130 and a 12TB for $160. Sometimes they'll be SAS, but SATA can be had at generally the same prices.

• Dominic Ryan

Dominic Ryan - 2021-12-07

Thanks David,

I likely won't be accessing any files on this NAS directly on a regular basis. This NAS is basically a means to keep all my data together locally with some form of redundancy/protection in the form of SnapRAID parity and backup to cloud.

Most of the files I work with are stored locally on my PC (2 x 4TB drives) and then selectively synced to the this NAS overnight.

Just read an article that Dropbox is now using all SMR drives which is fairly encouraging albeit at a somewhat different scale to what I am operating at.

Decided to go ahead and make the purchase while all the sales are still on. 24TB usable to 48TB is going to be quite the jump.

Last edit: Dominic Ryan 2021-12-07