Menu

What to do with old SnapRaid files?

Help
2020-05-06
2020-05-10
  • Dominic Ryan

Dominic Ryan - 2020-05-06

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noob with SnapRaid, so excuse me if this is all pretty basic stuff. I recently upgraded my NAS using OMV from Debian Jessy to Stretch. Long story short, there were some ZFS file system signatures on my drives (from FreeNAS days) which caused a bit of grief with the upgrade and in the end I had to manually strip off the ZFS parition signatures using wipefs. I've now got all my filesystems back online, the main one being 7 x 4TB drives in a UnionFS. However my SnapRaid config seems to be trashed.

I can see that all my snapraid files are still present on the disks, however I'm not sure if I should be looking to create my SnapRaid again from scratch or importing the existing files somehow? If the best course of action is to recreate my SnapRaid, should I ensure all the existing SnapRaid files are deleted first? If I should import the existing, are there any guides recommended targeted toward a novice user?

Thanks for any help, feeling a bit nervous about not having data parity at the moment.

• Leifi Plomeros

Leifi Plomeros - 2020-05-06

How can I recover the snapraid.conf file
    There is the dedicated -C, --gen-conf command that writes a template configuration file compatible with your content file. Note that this configuration requires some manual adjustments to set the disk mount points, but in the comments you'll find the required information to do so.

snapraid -C snapraid.content > snapraid.conf.new

http://www.snapraid.it/faq#recconf

• Dominic Ryan

Dominic Ryan - 2020-05-08

Thanks so much for your assistance. I was able to get snapraid running again fine, however I am now seeing a seperate issue. This issue appears to be specific to the OMV plugin in that via their GUI it does not list any drives despite them all showing up via the CMD. I've asked about this over at the OMV forums, however I'm yet to get a reply.

Rather than wait around, just wondering what steps I need to safely remove my snapraid configuration so that I can add it via the OMV plugin again? I really need to be able to administer OMV via the gui as I do not have SSH access remotely to my NAS.

Is it as simple as ensuring no snapraid function is running and then deleting all the snapraid files from my system?

• Dominic Ryan

Dominic Ryan - 2020-05-10

Nevermind, got it sorted. I just add the drives back into the OMV plugin ensuring I kept the data, content and parity settings per disk the same and it seems to be working fine.