Menu

Lightning strike knocked out my server and half my drives. How to proceed?

Help
Chuck
2023-12-17
2023-12-17
  • Chuck

Chuck - 2023-12-17

Disaster struck as lightning hit practically in my back yard. Even though my server was behind a cyberpower UPS and the UPS was still on, my server wouldn't turn on. Taking the disks out and trying them in another computer showed only about half will even spin up. Very frustrating, i will look into what went wrong but just want to set the best path forward to restore any data if possible.

Snapraid set up was

Set 1
    8tb Parity - registers in BIOS, showed in windows once but then doesn't after spitting errors
    8tb storage - working
    8tb storage - dead
    4tb storage - working

Set 2
    14tb Parity - working
    8tb Storage - working
    14tb Storage - dead
    14tb storage - dead

Can I try to restore 2 disks off what is left on Set 2? If so, do I need to buy 14tb disks or can I go bigger than rearrange the parity disks and rebuild later? Any suggestions on what to do with 1st parity drive?

thanks for your help with this tough situation

• David

David - 2023-12-17

You've got the data off the good disks and professional recovery could be an option. You could do a list piped to a file to see what you're missing if you can get the files from somewhere else.

One parity drive means you can recover data if any one drive has died. With a single parity drive, if two drives are unavailable, no data can be recovered.

Going forward, you could consider at least two parity drives per array. Not specifically for this situation, but recovery is very difficult on drives and recovery has killed drives close to failure.

You could also consider an online service like BackBlaze to back up the arrays if your ISP doesn't have data limits. $10 a month for unlimited data.