Menu

Andrea?

Help
2021-04-10
2021-05-12
  • cannondale0815

cannondale0815 - 2021-04-10

Hi folks -- haven't seen Andrea post here in a while, and the latest SnapRAID release (11.5) has been around for a few months. No real complains from my end -- everything has been working great for many years here, just wondering if Andrea made any statements in the recent past as to whether he is stepping back a bit and perhaps concentrating less on actively maintaining SnapRAID. Or maybe SnapRAID has reached a level of maturity that, for the time being, no changes are necessary.

If he is taking a bit more personal time, it's obviously well deserved.

Thanks!

• Andrea Mazzoleni

Hi cannondale0815,

The second you said. SnapRAID does what it's supposed to do, no changes necessary for the time being.

Ciao,
    Andrea

• I D

I D - 2021-05-12

I agree for the most part, SnapRAID is very mature and does everything I need now.

But there's a few things that would still be nice to have:
      1. The ability to continue doing syncs even when a parity drive fails. Right now, if my first parity drive fails, I'll have two additional parity drives. But I won't be able to do another sync until I replace and rebuild parity #1, which endangers my new data for that time-period. This has happened twice already. I can't comment out the first parity drive and continue using 2-parity and 3-parity while I get a new drive shipped to me.
      2. The ability to automatically create split-parity when you add a new parity drive. What I'd love is for it to create parity in 5TB blocks. That way if my 16TB parity drive starts to fail, I can copy the files to a stack of extra 5TB drives I have and not rebuild the whole thing.