Menu

Can we use parity disk with smaller size than data disk?

Help
2021-12-26
2021-12-30
  • Minh Quan Pham

Minh Quan Pham - 2021-12-26

Hi,

I wonder can we use the parity disk with smaller size than data disk whenever we keep the data disk usage smaller than the size of parity disk?
    For example I have 2x5TB data disk. 1x3TB for parity. If I never fill data in each data disk more than 3TB, it would be ok right?

If it is not allowed or doesn't work, then can I format 5TB data disk as a partition of 3TB and using it as 3TB only?

Thanks.

Last edit: Minh Quan Pham 2021-12-26
  • David

David - 2021-12-26

You can use the 5TB as parity and store as many files as it as you want as long as there is room for the parity file. For example, my largest data drive is 10TB. I have a 12TB parity drive. I nightly close about 1.5TB to a folder on the parity drive.

• Minh Quan Pham

Minh Quan Pham - 2021-12-26

There is a few internal reasons I don't want to use that 5TB disk as parity.

• Mickey Batman

Mickey Batman - 2021-12-26

Yes, it will definitely work as you described. My parity drives were 8TB each. Then I added a 14TB data drive. No problem as long as the data on the 14TB drive does not exceed 8TB.

Snapraid only cares about the size of the data, not the size of the drives.

When I run "snapraid status" I can see the "Wasted GB" column of the 14TB drive showing about 6000GB of wasted GB as they cannot be protected by snapraid

• Minh Quan Pham

Minh Quan Pham - 2021-12-30

Great. Thanks for you confirm Mickey.