Menu

Selective sync

Help
2022-08-13
2022-08-18
  • John Sullivan

John Sullivan - 2022-08-13

Would it be technically possible to selectively sync contents rather than syncing all changes?
    Im thinking of scenarios such as sync all additions and modifications but dont sync deletes. Or sync this list of files that I got from the diff.

I understand if its not possible due to the way parity is computed (I dont know enough details), but if it is technically possible it would be a great feature. I could sync every day without worrying about drive failure syncing deletes for example, until I can manually review the deletes.

I could also be sure the contents reported in diff are what is being synced and nothing else that occurred between the two commands

I know you can use a wrapper script to abort on too many deletes, but thats inferior because I then get no protection on new content until I can manually review

• David

David - 2022-08-13

What would happen when recovering from a drive failure on a system with one parity drive if one of the drives had five or ten percent of the files missing? The full drive couldn't be rebuilt.

• John Sullivan

John Sullivan - 2022-08-16

I'm only talking about doing a sync that purely adds data to the parity and does not remove any. So lets say I have built parity for 10 files, then I add another 10 files and delete one, the diff would show 10 additions and 1 removal. A sync currently would update parity to match those 19 files and I could no longer recover the deleted files. What I'm suggesting is a partial sync where I want to ignore deletions. So update the parity for the new 10 files, but keep the existing parity for the 1 missing file. So after the 'selective sync' I would have parity for 20 files, and the diff command would still report 1 file deleted.

• TooMeeK User

TooMeeK User - 2022-08-18

Try RECYCLE.BIN method, move deleted files into bin. Then issue sync. Purge bin only when ready to do so. New & deleted files will be still under protection. Of course, the bin folder have to be included in snapraid config and best would be unlimited capacity.