Menu

Snapraid does not delete my new folder name.

Help
Arnaud D.
2023-12-27
2024-01-01
  • Arnaud D.

Arnaud D. - 2023-12-27

Hello,

I have made a sync. I have renamed a folder to see if I can revert to the old folder name with Snapraid fix.

I do a "snapraid fix". Well, it rebuilds the folder with the old name (including the files). So far so good. But it keeps the folder with the new name (including the files) !!! Is this normal ?

P.S. I use ext4 and btrfs files. I changed the hard drive names in the configuration. Afterwards I did a sync again.
    Does it come from there ?

• Arnaud D.

Arnaud D. - 2023-12-30

Does anyone have the same problem ?

• Leifi Plomeros

Leifi Plomeros - 2024-01-01

Snapraid fix is only expected to add missing files and / or replace files with modified / corrupted content.

If from snapraids perspective, there are files missing or corrupted, then fix will restore / replace those files, no more, no less.

If you want to test restore functionality, then you should move the files outside of the array instead of renaming them.

• Arnaud D.

Arnaud D. - 2024-01-01

A renamed folder containing files is not a "file with modified / corrupted content" ???

I don't want to test the restore by moving the files, I want to test the restore in the case of a renamed folder.

So "Snapraid fix" does not restore renamed folders!?! Wow! I can not believe it ! This is a major drawback. It's not marked anywhere. People need to be warned!

• Leifi Plomeros

A renamed folder containing files is not a "file with modified / corrupted content" ???

Correct.

I don't want to test the restore by moving the files, I want to test the restore in the case of a renamed folder.

I want candy but no one cares about that.

So "Snapraid fix" does not restore renamed folders!?!

No, your test confirmed that it successfully restored the folder and all files within it.

Wow! I can not believe it ! This is a major drawback. It's not marked anywhere. People need to be warned!

No, this is perfectly normal for all backup systems.

• David

David - 2024-01-01

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. It reads like you are.

How is SR supposed to know if you've renamed a directory with the express purpose of restoring to that directory or if you've renamed a directory for any of a thousand other more common reasons?

• Arnaud D.

Arnaud D. - 2024-01-01

@Leifi Plomeros

Are you offended ? Are you deliberately not understanding the problem ?

Correct.

No. A renamed folder is by definition a folder that has changed. Is it difficult to understand ?

So "Snapraid fix" does not restore renamed folders!?!

No, your test confirmed that it successfully restored the folder and all files within it.

No. My test confirmed that "snapraid fix" recreates a folder with the old name (including files), but keeps the folder with the new name (including files). I repeat what I have already said. This means that we now have two folders with the same files ! Is it difficult to understand ?

Wow! I can not believe it ! This is a major drawback. It's not marked anywhere. People need to be warned!

No, this is perfectly normal for all backup systems.

No. This is not normal. All backup systems restore files AND FOLDERS to a previously saved state. What "snapraid fix" does not do in the previous case. So, no, snapraid is NOT a backup system. Is it difficult to understand ?

@David

I'm not a troll. I am a user who has just discovered a major drawback of Snapraid. You need to stop seeing trolls everywhere!
    Snapraid is supposed to restore to the identical state saved during "sync". Which he doesn't do.

@everyone

To raise the debate, I would still like to thank Andrea for her work even if, I repeat, people should be warned that "Snapraid fix" works well, but only works well when a hard drive fails. If people simply want to restore the state of the data disks to the state saved during "sync", this does not work properly. It's not marked everywhere.

So, I advise people to use the BtrFS file system and snapshots to overcome this problem. To use this you need to install "snapper".

You can even combine the advantages of "snapraid" and "snapper", by installing "snapraid-btrfs" (after having installed the first two).

And happy New Year.

• David

David - 2024-01-01

What you want is a drive recovery program. Which SR is. If you want to recover an entire drive, that's what you can do.

No. This is not normal. All backup systems restore files AND FOLDERS to a previously saved state.

Nope. If I restore a folder with a backup program, it will restore THAT folder with THOSE files under A specific folder. The backup program doesn't look for new, renamed, or older folders and delete the folder with everything under it.

What SR also does, is file and directory recovery. If you want to recover a file, multiple files, directory, or multiple directories, it can do that as well. I don't know of any backup program that does what you want it to do; "Restore a directory then search if another renamed directory exists with some or all of the files and then delete that directory."

Snapraid is supposed to restore to the identical state saved during "sync". Which he doesn't do.

SR recovers files. That's what it is built to do. It's not built for real-time monitoring of file chages either. That's not a drawback either. SR is a tool for a specific purpose.

If you want snapshots, then SR isn't for you. I'm sure you'r aware that different tools exist for different problems. Complaining that SR doesn't do snapshots and is a major drawback is like complaining a Philips head screwdriver doesn't work with torx head screws.

The reason I asked if you were trolling was because of what you were asking. Read over what you typed, don't think "snapshots" because you didn't ask mention snapshots, and think if that makes sense. Once you mentioned you wanted "snapshots," then what you were asking made sense.

Last edit: David 2024-01-01
    • Leifi Plomeros

Are you offended ? Are you deliberately not understanding the problem ?

Yes, I'm very sensitive, thanks for noticing. But, I perfectly understand the issue.

No. My test confirmed that "snapraid fix" recreates a folder with the old name (including files), but keeps the folder with the new name (including files). I repeat what I have already said. This means that we now have two folders with the same files ! Is it difficult to understand ?

This was never unclear.

No. This is not normal. All backup systems restore files AND FOLDERS to a previously saved state. What "snapraid fix" does not do in the previous case. So, no, snapraid is NOT a backup system. Is it difficult to understand ?

Snapraid allows you to restores files and folders to a previous state. What it doesn't do is delete or move files or folders. This is true for all backup systems. The goal is always to restore files, never to delete them.

You could still easily make that happen, by formatting the drive and then use snapraid fix to restore all content exactly like it was.

Here is a proper test scenario:
      1. Run snapraid sync
      2. Do some changes like moving, deleting or renaming a files or folders.
      3. Run snapraid diff to confirm that snapraid is correctly identifying all changes.
      4a. Run snapraid sync to accept the changes.
      4b. OR run snapraid fix to restore missing or modified files or folders.

If you look closely when running snapraid diff in step 3 you will find that snapraid is usually very good at identifing moved or renamed files and folders.

So, the problem is not that Snapraid is unable to identify renamed folders. It just has no reason to do what you expect.

Last edit: Leifi Plomeros 2024-01-01