Menu

SnapRAID newbie questions

Help
2024-04-26
2024-04-26
  • Raphael Rosenthal

Hi people.

I want to use SnapRAID, but have some questions first.

If I setup a 6 disks total, with 3 data and 3 parity, then later I decide to change on parity disk to data, is it possible?

If so, how? So I can test in a virtual machine first...

In reading the manual, section 4.2 Pooling, it describes a pooling function. Is it the same as using StableBit DrivePool? If so, what do you recommend using?

Thanks in advance!

• David

David - 2024-04-26

Chainging a parity to a data disk is easy as long as you pick the LAST parity drive. So if you had three parity drives, remove the third parity drive form the config, format it, and add it to the config as a data drive.

SR "pooling" creates links in a directory to the files. It may work fine for most cases, but in my experience, bluray structures wouldn't play. DrivePool works great, but I turn off the balancing and all of the other features. I use just the pooling to a drive.

• Raphael Rosenthal

Ok, I understand the first part, but after removing the last parity drive, format it, adding as a data drive, then on the remaining parity drives, do I need to do something, such as recalculate parity?

About pooling, it seems that DrivePool is the way to go.

Thanks again.

• David

David - 2024-04-26

Nope. As long as you remove the last parity drive, everything else is fine. https://www.snapraid.it/faq#addpardisk

👍