Menu

Server crashed during -F sync

Help
Raph Raph
2024-06-25
2024-07-12
  • Raph Raph

Raph Raph - 2024-06-25

Hi there. I recently added a new parity disk to my snapraid config. I did 'snapraid -F sync' to compile the parity disk anew. The problem is that the server crashed during the -F sync. It got about 37% of the way there. I have now found the problem of the crash and have fixed it. Since snapraid saves progress during snyc, should i now do a normal sync and let it continue from there? Or should i start a new -F sync? :D

• Night Rider

Night Rider - 2024-07-07

I can't believe nobody answered you... I'll give it a shot, but this doesn't leave me much hope for an answer to the question I'm about to post.

Since this left you with a partial parity file, and reading the documentation, it states:

Having a partial parity file, is still beneficial, as it will still allow to recover data as long it uses the valid part.
    If you have a partially damaged or totally lost parity file, you can run the "fix" command to recreate it, but ensure to use the -d option to fix only the interested parity and not the other disks.
    snapraid fix -d PARITYNAME

Or you could just start over I imagine with another -F sync.

Have you tried anything yet?

• Raph Raph

Raph Raph - 2024-07-09

Hey :D Thanks for your reply ^^ And sorry for my late reply :/ I found out that my SATA controller was too puny for RAID usage when i had as many discs as i do now, so I decided to live it somewhat dangerous (Since my discs are so new) and wait till my new SATA controller arrived and did a full sync -F. Works flawlessly now :D

• David

David - 2024-07-12

You may want to consider using the "autosave" feature.