Menu

Microsoft: Computer games at work are OK

PJ Cabrera
2006-04-24
2013-04-09
  • PJ Cabrera

PJ Cabrera - 2006-04-24

Microsoft: Computer games at work are OK

I was feeling guilty today. I had plenty of work to do and here I was contemplating playing a computer game.

Luckily, I stumbled on this press release, in which MSN Games quotes a "work-life balance expert" who says it's actually good to take a game break.

"I often counsel my patients on simple steps they can take to reduce stress in their lives, and one of those is giving your brain a breather every now and then," advises Dr. Kathleen Hall, founder of The Stress Institute.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/apr06/04-13Pause2PlayPR.mspx

Microsoft is touting Hall's philosophy as it launches "Pause to Play," a month-long effort being timed to coincide with Stress Awareness Month. In addition to the fun of playing games on work time, Microsoft has an instant-win game with the potential for cash prizes.

So, just remember, when the boss stops by your desk, you're not goofing off. You are exploring "new revenue possibilities."

Hall says you should feel free to take 20 minutes, or perhaps your lunch hour, to try out "any of the hundreds of games on MSN Games."

Well, OK, if you insist.

• Ernesto Díaz

Ernesto Díaz - 2006-04-24

That's why we played In SNAP. Halo is the best stress realese game you can ever play, and it's better when you play with your boss and you kick his 'a.s.s. Oh! Yeah! I think I know that feeling.